Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Security Management <li...@secmgmt.com> on 2009/04/14 15:29:12 UTC

Help with mod_jk and Apache 2.2

So, I have Tomcat 5.5, apache 2.2 on a linux 32 bit machine.  Tomcat and my
webapp work great, I just can't seem to get the connector working.  Sorry if
this is a basic question, but even with the debugging on I can't see what is
wrong.  I have listed 3 files here, my httpd config, my workers.properties,
and my uri mappings file.  I would appreciate any advice.  Here is the error
I'm getting:

[Tue Apr 14 09:20:34 2009] [565:3085756960] [debug] jk_child_init::mod_jk.c
(3068): Initialized mod_jk/1.2.28
[Tue Apr 14 09:20:43 2009] [558:3085756960] [debug] jk_translate::mod_jk.c
(3419): missing uri map for sirrus.smc:/appsuite/
[Tue Apr 14 09:20:43 2009] [558:3085756960] [debug]
jk_map_to_storage::mod_jk.c (3579): missing uri map for sirrus.smc/appsuite/

I have tried changing the hostname from localhost to sirrus.smc, but with no
luck.

Here is the mod_jk config:

LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so

JkWorkersFile /etc/httpd/conf.d/workers.properties
JkMountFile /etc/httpd/conf.d/uriworkermap.properties
JkLogFile /var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel debug
JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat -ForwardDirectories
JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"
JkShmFile /var/log/httpd/JkShmFile

Here is the workers.properties:

workers.tomcat_home=/var/www/apache-tomcat-5.5.27/

# workers.java_home should point to your Java installation. Normally
# you should have a bin and lib directories beneath it.
#
workers.java_home=/usr/java/latest

# You should configure your environment slash... ps=\ on NT and / on UNIX
# and maybe something different elsewhere.
#
ps=/

# The workers that your plugins should create and work with
#
worker.list=worker1

#------ DEFAULT ajp13 WORKER DEFINITION ------------------------------
#---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Defining a worker named ajp13 and of type ajp13
# Note that the name and the type do not have to match.
#
worker.worker1.type=ajp13
worker.worker1.host=localhost

Here is the JkMountFile:

/appsuite=worker1

Re: Help with mod_jk and Apache 2.2

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Well, no, I didn't.  I just answered the wrong message.
Tip: respond to the list only, not (also) to the person's address.
Otherwise, that person gets each message twice : once because he
subscribes to the list, and once your direct message.
Responding only to the list also saves trees and minimises global warming.

----
OOps, sorry. I think I sent a response to the wrong guy.
Antonio must be wondering now. ;-)

Security Management wrote:
> OK, I was switching the name to make sure the logs switched the name and
> stuff.
>
> It's consistent in the file.

Anyway, I am lost now. Consistent with what ?
Would you mind re-posting the current content of your 3 files, as they
are now, consistent and all ?

Alternatively, do the following :
- comment your "JkMountFile" line
- instead add these two lines :
   JkMount /appsuite worker1
   JkMount /appsuite/* worker1

and tell us if that works.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi André,

+1 to your forthcoming documentation contributions.

Great explanation.

Regards,

Rainer

RE: Help with mod_jk and Apache 2.2

Posted by Security Management <li...@secmgmt.com>.
Well, I'll be damned, I do have virtual hosts:

VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
_default_:443          sirrus.smc (/etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf:81)
*:*                    sirrus.smc
(/etc/httpd/conf.d/system-config-httpd.conf:314)
Syntax OK

Andre, I don't know how long that would have taken me without the help, but
it would have been a lot longer.

Thanks a bunch.  I will investigate further, but it's definitely OT for this
list at this point.

Mike.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Security Management wrote:
> Andre,
>
> I removed the deprecated lines from the workers.properties, and added the
> JkMountCopy that you indicated.
>
> Things work now.
>
> The strange thing is, I'm not using a virtual host (name or IP based), it's
> the canned apache installation for Fedora.
>
> Maybe this is what did it??
[...]

Posted by Security Management <li...@secmgmt.com>.
Andre,

I removed the deprecated lines from the workers.properties, and added the
JkMountCopy that you indicated.

Things work now.

The strange thing is, I'm not using a virtual host (name or IP based), it's
the canned apache installation for Fedora.

Maybe this is what did it??

I created a mod_jk.conf in /etc/httpd/conf.d, which on Fedora, all files in
this directory get loaded at the start of the service, and in the main
configuration (not in the <Directory "/var/www/html"> element of the config
file).  Was that the problem, adding all the configuration in the global
section, so it was not being seen in that site directive of httpd?

If so, the documentation was not clear to me what has to go in the global
config and what has to go in the specific site configuration.  I did
actually read the note about virtual hosts, but it did not indicate I need
to add the mount copy.  If I have time, I'll do some more testing and see
exactly what needs to go where to not need the copy, but I don't have time
at the moment.

Thanks,
Mike.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Security Management wrote:
> OK, here is the error (note that I have renamed it, I was just making sure I
> was seeing what I thought I was).  Webapp works on 8080, apache restarts
> without complaining, I verified the port is the default for the worker type
> in server.xml, and I am stumped.  Thanks for looking!
>
> Server.xml bit:
>
> <Connector port="8009"
>                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3"
> />
>
> The error in the mod_jk logs:
>
> [Tue Apr 14 16:57:03 2009] [16766:3085969952] [debug] jk_translate::mod_jk.c
> (3419): missing uri map for sirrus.smc:/smc-appsuite/index
> [Tue Apr 14 16:57:03 2009] [16766:3085969952] [debug]
> jk_map_to_storage::mod_jk.c (3579): missing uri map for
> sirrus.smc:/smc-appsuite/index
> [Tue Apr 14 16:57:34 2009] [16767:3085969952] [debug] jk_translate::mod_jk.c
> (3419): missing uri map for sirrus.smc:/smc-appsuite
> [Tue Apr 14 16:57:34 2009] [16767:3085969952] [debug]
> jk_map_to_storage::mod_jk.c (3579): missing uri map for
> sirrus.smc:/smc-appsuite
>

> Here is the mod_jk.conf bit:
>
> LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
>
> JkWorkersFile /etc/httpd/conf.d/workers.properties
>
> #JkMountFile /etc/httpd/conf.d/uriworkermap.properties
> JkMount /smc-appsuite worker1
> JkMount /smc-appsuite/* worker1
>
> JkLogFile /var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log
> JkLogLevel debug
> JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y] "
> JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat -ForwardDirectories
> JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"
> JkShmFile /var/log/httpd/JkShmFile

I think I get it.
Are you by any chance using this within a <VirtualHost> in Apache ?
(I mean, are your browser HTTP calls directed to a VirtualHost ?)

If yes, then try adding a line
JkMountCopy All
to the lines above (in the main Apache server configuration), and retry.

If it now works, make sure you read this :
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html
and specifically the part about JkMountCopy.

You would only be one among many to get bitten by this..

> Here is the workers.properties:
>
> workers.tomcat_home=/var/www/apache-tomcat-5.5.27/
>
> workers.java_home=/usr/java/latest

Note: As far as I know, the above two properties are deprecated, and
should no  longer be used.

> ps=/
>
> worker.list=worker1
>
> worker.worker1.type=ajp13
> worker.worker1.host=localhost

I would still add
worker.worker1.port=8009

Posted by Security Management <li...@secmgmt.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Antonio Vidal Ferrer <an...@globalia-sistemas.com>.
Hi.

I guess the = sign in your jkmount file is wrong.
It should say:
/appsuite	worker1

Best,

Toni

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Security Management wrote:
> So, I have Tomcat 5.5, apache 2.2 on a linux 32 bit machine.  Tomcat and my
> webapp work great, I just can't seem to get the connector working.  Sorry if
> this is a basic question, but even with the debugging on I can't see what is
> wrong.  I have listed 3 files here, my httpd config, my workers.properties,
> and my uri mappings file.  I would appreciate any advice.  Here is the error
> I'm getting:
>
> [Tue Apr 14 09:20:34 2009] [565:3085756960] [debug] jk_child_init::mod_jk.c
> (3068): Initialized mod_jk/1.2.28
> [Tue Apr 14 09:20:43 2009] [558:3085756960] [debug] jk_translate::mod_jk.c
> (3419): missing uri map for sirrus.smc:/appsuite/
> [Tue Apr 14 09:20:43 2009] [558:3085756960] [debug]
> jk_map_to_storage::mod_jk.c (3579): missing uri map for sirrus.smc/appsuite/
>
> I have tried changing the hostname from localhost to sirrus.smc, but with no
> luck.
>
> Here is the mod_jk config:
>
> LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
>
> JkWorkersFile /etc/httpd/conf.d/workers.properties
> JkMountFile /etc/httpd/conf.d/uriworkermap.properties
> JkLogFile /var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log
> JkLogLevel debug
> JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y] "
> JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat -ForwardDirectories
> JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"
> JkShmFile /var/log/httpd/JkShmFile
>

> Here is the workers.properties:
>
> workers.tomcat_home=/var/www/apache-tomcat-5.5.27/
>
> # workers.java_home should point to your Java installation. Normally
> # you should have a bin and lib directories beneath it.
> #
> workers.java_home=/usr/java/latest
>
> # You should configure your environment slash... ps=\ on NT and / on UNIX
> # and maybe something different elsewhere.
> #
> ps=/
>
> # The workers that your plugins should create and work with
> #
> worker.list=worker1
>
> #------ DEFAULT ajp13 WORKER DEFINITION ------------------------------
> #---------------------------------------------------------------------
> # Defining a worker named ajp13 and of type ajp13
> # Note that the name and the type do not have to match.
> #
> worker.worker1.type=ajp13
> worker.worker1.host=localhost

here you seem to be missing a line
 > worker.worker1.port=xxxx   (xxxx = the port on which your Tomcat AJP
connector is listening)

> Here is the JkMountFile:
>
> /appsuite=worker1
add
/appsuite/* = worker1

explanation : "/appsuite" will match just that, "/appsuite". It is not
to be interpreted as "/appsuite and anything below it".
To say "/appsuite and anything below it", you need the two lines.
You could also use "/appsuite*", but then it would also match
"/appsuiteandanythingelse", which is probably not what you want.