Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/19 03:27:45 UTC

Solr 3.1

I'm a little bit confused about the difference between the Lucene/Solr
3.x branch and Lucene/Solr trunk.  Is there a page on the Lucene
Apache site yet for Lucene/Solr 3.x, linked to from the main page?

Re: Solr 3.1

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Correction: 3.x is the stable branch, which means it gets both new
features (as long as they are not "disruptive"), as well as bug fixes.

So eg the next stable release is 3.1.  Then 3.1.1, 3.1.2, etc. will be
bug-fix only releases, off of it.  Each 3.x is free to get new
features.

Trunk isn't really a "research project".  Instead, it gets the
features that are too big/risky/disruptive for the stable branch.
It's in fact quite "stable", except, APIs and index format are allowed
to suddenly change, which gives the devs more freedom to make major
improvements to Lucene, like flexible indexing (NOTE: I'm giving a
talk about flexible indexing at Lucene Revolution in Boston, next
week).

The real "research projects" happen on branches, eg the real-time
branch, [soon] the column-stride fields branch, etc.  Branches are
merged back to trunk once they are deemed stable/safe enough.

Mike

Re: Solr 3.1

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr 3.1

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Jason,

generally you might wanna send mails to dev@lucene... not solr-dev
since we merged.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Jason Rutherglen
<ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a little bit confused about the difference between the Lucene/Solr
> 3.x branch and Lucene/Solr trunk.  Is there a page on the Lucene
> Apache site yet for Lucene/Solr 3.x, linked to from the main page?

Go ahead ask you question - afaik there is no link from the main page
what so ever but maybe we should write up one or two sentences
somewhere what the differences are between the dev branches. Maybe
this is a good place:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute (as well as its
solr relative) Thoughts?

simon