Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by ah...@wipro.com on 2008/07/01 15:49:51 UTC

Facing a problem while configuring the Log4j

Hi

I have noticed that while I try to configure Log4j using Apach Log4j API
in an initialization servlet in my web application. It sort of stops
displaying the other statements that are by default displayed usually.
(i.e. Started J2EE application ....... and so on and so forth.. ). These
are not getting displayed on the console of JBoss, and are being written
into the log files that I am creating.

Following is my initializeLogger method of my logger manager, it is
being called from a servlet that gets loaded during startup from the
init method.   Attached is the properties file. (FYI, I am using Struts
2.0 - though it should not matter). Any help is appreciated.

/*******************************************************************/
 public static boolean initializeLogger(String strLog4jPropertyFileName)
{

  Properties objLog4jProperties = new Properties();

  try{
    System.out.println(strLog4jPropertyFileName);
    FileInputStream objFIS = new
FileInputStream(strLog4jPropertyFileName);
    objLog4jProperties.load(objFIS);
    objFIS.close();
    PropertyConfigurator.configure(objLog4jProperties);
    logger =
getInstance("com.wipro.eenabling.emobility.utility.logutil.LoggerMgr");
  } catch(IOException objIOExp){
   System.out.println("IO Exception occurred while loading the log4j
properties file"+objIOExp);
   objIOExp.printStackTrace();
  }catch(Exception objExp){
   System.out.println("Exception occurred while loading the log4j
properties file"+objExp);
   objExp.printStackTrace();
  }

  return true;
 }
/*******************************************************************/

Regards
Ahmad

www.wipro.com

Re: Facing a problem while configuring the Log4j

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Well, it depends what your config file looks like.  Also, sounds like you are
using JBoss.  I think the classloader is server-wide, correct?  Therefore, you
are using a single instance of Log4j and, thus, utilizing a single Logger
repository.  So, whenever you perform configuration from any app runnng under
JBoss, you are reconfiguring the logging configuration for the whole server.
This can be worked around either using classloader tricks, like enabling
child-first loading for webapps (such as is the default in Tomcat-standalone)
or you can use a custom logger repository selector, which selects based on
something like JNDI context, which should be different per/webapp.  Search the
list.  I (and others) have written ad-nauseum about this.

Jake