Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1999/05/26 19:10:01 UTC

Re: config/4455: apache provides no way to do a wildcard/globalNameVirtualHost

The following reply was made to PR config/4455; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>
To: Apache bug database <ap...@Apache.Org>
Cc:  Subject: Re: config/4455: apache provides no way to do a wildcard/globalNameVirtualHost
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:08:31 -0400

 --------------D3E17CFAA0B29E7CBFD78B87

 Not sent to the database..
 --------------D3E17CFAA0B29E7CBFD78B87

 Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 12:59:04 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Todd Vierling <tv...@pobox.com>
 To: coar@apache.org
 cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org
 Subject: Re: config/4455: apache provides no way to do a wildcard/global
  NameVirtualHost

 On 26 May 1999 coar@apache.org wrote:

 : Please check out the use of the <VirtualHost _default_>
 : syntax and see if that addresses your need.

 No.  There's two things I'm wanting here, to address two different problems:

 - A replicable wildcard for VirtualHost.

   This would allow a named virtual host to appear on *any* IP address, if
   desired using the HTTP/1.1 (and extended HTTP/1.0) Host: header.
   (Currently, an IP must be assigned to each VirtualHost, though you can
   duplicate the same ServerName in multiple VirtualHosts.)

   The <VirtualHost _default_> directive may be used exactly once, and does
   not do "NameVirtualHost matching" on the ServerName (since you may only
   have one of them).

 - A wildcard for NameVirtualHost, or "default" behavior of allowing
   NameVirtualHosts on all addresses.

   Name-based virtual hosts are only scanned on addresses for which the
   NameVirtualHost directive is given.  Frankly, I believe they should be
   allowed on all addresses by default (whenever a Host: header is supplied).
   However, a wildcard for NameVirtualHost would suffice.

 =====

 The two setups I administer which require something like the above:

 - One server with a dynamically changing IP address to the outside world
   which has multiple named virtual hosts.  (Providing an IP address to
   either VirtualHost or NameVirtualHost would be meaningless.)

 - A cluster of servers, referenced by multiple DNS address records for each
   domain served.  These machines do failover -- if one crashes, another
   picks up the orphaned IP address as an alias, just to keep that address
   from becoming a "black hole" in the DNS address list.  (The cluster
   machines need a way to allow dynamically added IP addresses to serve the
   same name based virtual hosts without modifying httpd.conf.)

 The <VirtualHost _default_> directive provides settings to be a "catch-all"
 if a virtual host is not matched, which doesn't help either situation above.

 In these networks, I do in fact have a <VirtualHost _default_> directive
 that points to a page reading "Update your browser ... to one supporting
 HTTP/1.1 named virtual hosts ...."

 --------------D3E17CFAA0B29E7CBFD78B87--