Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by W17chM4n <wi...@o2.pl> on 2009/04/14 10:38:01 UTC

Polish fonts in Postscript

Hi !

Well I have a problem with forcing FOP (trunk) to print to postscript and
properly display polish fonts using Arial (ttf2pt1). The problem occurs in
two ways. First - when I don`t generate any font metrics I receive PS with
random chars like %,$,#,! in the places when even normal (not ś, ą, ć etc.)
letters should appear. Second - when I have font metrics, PS looks all right
but instead of polish characters, I get #.

What`s strange, everything works fine when I`m printing to PDF.

Can anybody help me or point in right direction ??

http://www.nabble.com/file/p23035414/out.pdf out.pdf
http://www.nabble.com/file/p23035414/out_no_font_metrics.ps
out_no_font_metrics.ps
http://www.nabble.com/file/p23035414/out_with_font_metrics.ps
out_with_font_metrics.ps
http://www.nabble.com/file/p23035414/in.xml in.xml

Re: Polish fonts in Postscript

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
W17chM4n wrote:

> Hi !

It looks like you are using FOP Trunk? Is it a recent version?

> Well I have a problem with forcing FOP (trunk) to print to postscript and
> properly display polish fonts using Arial (ttf2pt1). The problem occurs in
> two ways. First - when I don`t generate any font metrics I receive PS with
> random chars like %,$,#,! in the places when even normal (not ś, ą, ć etc.)
> letters should appear. Second - when I have font metrics, PS looks all right
> but instead of polish characters, I get #.

The problem maybe because you use a font metrics file. That step was
deprecated a while ago. If the metrics were generated with the -enc ansi
option then glyphs outside the ANSI range such as Polish glyphs can't be
referenced. My advice is to remove the reference to the metrics file
from your fop.xconf file and try to generate the PS again.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi, I assume it's a problem in the font, then. You mentioned that it's a
converted font. Maybe that conversion didn't work out well. Difficult to
tell without access to the font.

On 14.04.2009 13:32:51 W17chM4n wrote:

> Thanks for advice, though as I`ve written before the problem occurs even when
> I`m not using metrics.
>
> Btw. part of my config looks like:
>
> <renderers>
> 	<renderer mime="application/postscript">
> 		<auto-rotate-landscape>true</auto-rotate-landscape>
> 		<optimize-resources>true</optimize-resources>
> 		<fonts>
> 			<directory>c:/fop</directory>

> 		</fonts>
> 	</renderer>
> </renderers>
>

> cbowditch wrote:
> >
> > W17chM4n wrote:
> >
> >> Hi !
> >
> > It looks like you are using FOP Trunk? Is it a recent version?
> >

> >> Well I have a problem with forcing FOP (trunk) to print to postscript and
> >> properly display polish fonts using Arial (ttf2pt1). The problem occurs
> >> in
> >> two ways. First - when I don`t generate any font metrics I receive PS
> >> with
> >> random chars like %,$,#,! in the places when even normal (not ś, ą, ć
> >> etc.)
> >> letters should appear. Second - when I have font metrics, PS looks all
> >> right
> >> but instead of polish characters, I get #.
> >
> > The problem maybe because you use a font metrics file. That step was
> > deprecated a while ago. If the metrics were generated with the -enc ansi
> > option then glyphs outside the ANSI range such as Polish glyphs can't be
> > referenced. My advice is to remove the reference to the metrics file
> > from your fop.xconf file and try to generate the PS again.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris
> >

> >> What`s strange, everything works fine when I`m printing to PDF.
> >>
> >> Can anybody help me or point in right direction ??
> >>
> >> http://www.nabble.com/file/p23035414/out.pdf out.pdf
> >> http://www.nabble.com/file/p23035414/out_no_font_metrics.ps
> >> out_no_font_metrics.ps
> >> http://www.nabble.com/file/p23035414/out_with_font_metrics.ps