Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "donaldupre ." <do...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/10 12:36:17 UTC

Apache replacement

Hi
What does it take to buy back OpenOffice from Apache?
I'm sure there are commercial entities that will be happy to develop it.
Apache isn't doing a great job...
Best regards,
Don
PS I don't want a merge with LibreOffice!

Re: Apache replacement

Posted by "donaldupre ." <do...@gmail.com>.
There is the brand name "OpenOffice" to be bought.
The exact problems with Apache:
1. Lack of releases, should be 3-4 per year as minimum.
2. The tired and boring look and feel of the homepage, blog, facebook,
twitter.
3. Lack of innovation, the sidebar is not an example for innovation.
4. The lost contact with Linux distributions. all distributions ship
LibreOffice as default.
5. The limited documentation and user support in all forms.
6. The wrong emphasis on M$ formats compatibility, the reason OpenOffice
was invented was to rid the world from proprietary formats. If OpenOffice
fully supports these, what reason is there for anyone to use the open file
format?
Regards,
Don

Re: Apache replacement

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Hi

Re: Apache replacement

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 10/10/15 13:48, donaldupre wrote:

>The decision making will stay with Apache.

There is nothing preventing an organization from collecting the source
code Apache releases, modifying it, and commercially distributing the
resulting program. As such, Apache's decision making becomes totally
irrelevant.

See for, example, EuroOffice.

jonathon

Re: Apache replacement

Posted by "donaldupre ." <do...@gmail.com>.
Please allow me to clarify. According to your suggestion, the contributors
will be managed by Apache. The decision making will stay with Apache. But
apache proved to fail in those aspects...
About creating a derivative product, after reading so many comments and
opinions online suggesting a merge of OO and LO, introducing a third player
seems unreasonable.
I'm not affiliated with such a company and just raised an innocent question.
Regards,
Don

Re: Apache replacement

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.