Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> on 2007/02/16 00:14:07 UTC

Portions of README.txt in ApacheDS 1.0.1 are outdated

Hi all!

The current README.txt in the root directory of an installation contains
this paragraph:

--8<--

Connecting
----------

See
http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/apacheds/users/authentication.html
or the bundled documentation.

-->8--

The link does not exist anymore. By the way: is there any bundled
documentation anymore?

How about changing the paragraph to something like this:

--8<--

Getting started
---------------

Learn how to connect to ApacheDS with various clients (graphical tools
among others), manipulate the data within your directory and integrate
ApacheDS with other software. The same sample data, provided as a
download, is used through the whole guide.

ApacheDS v1.0 Basic User's Guide
See http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/

-->8--

(Just an idea to promote our new documentation for newbies ...)

Greetings,
     Stefan

Re: Portions of README.txt in ApacheDS 1.0.1 are outdated

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> The current README.txt in the root directory of an installation contains
> this paragraph:
>
> --8<--
>
> Connecting
> ----------
>
> See
> http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/apacheds/users/authentication.html
> or the bundled documentation.
>
> -->8--
>
> The link does not exist anymore. By the way: is there any bundled
> documentation anymore?
>
> How about changing the paragraph to something like this:
>
> --8<--
>
> Getting started
> ---------------
>
> Learn how to connect to ApacheDS with various clients (graphical tools
> among others), manipulate the data within your directory and integrate
> ApacheDS with other software. The same sample data, provided as a
> download, is used through the whole guide.
>
> ApacheDS v1.0 Basic User's Guide
> See http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/
>
> -->8--
>
> (Just an idea to promote our new documentation for newbies ...)

Absolutely let's add this.  BTW this readme is what is shown to users by
the installer in one of the windows.

Thanks,
Alex