Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/11/26 15:50:49 UTC

Managing the Duality of C# and Java

Ok. We are faced with a soon release of Avalon#, with a language most of us
don't know a great deal about.  The language barrier should not stop us, but
we do have some things we need to manage.  This is a PMC discussion, but I
CC'd developers so they can eavesdrop.

The first order of business is ensuring the licensing of the code.  Is it
directly making use of GPL or LGPL code?  I.e. if Log4Net is GPL/LPGL then
we cannot have it in CVS, and we would have to develop a real way to separate
its use completely.  Again, NUnit and Nant are used.  Nant is a tool, and as
such does not necessarily require that we exclude its use, just that we require
our users to install it separately.  It does have an installer.  NUnit is a
bit different, and if I recall has what I thought was a compatible license.
We need to verify that.  Also, we need to know if there are any other 3rd
party libraries/utilities.  The last time I checked, I think we are in the
clear--we just need to do another verification before any release is
concidered.

The second order of business is to see how this can work with Mono.  If we
can ensure it works with Mono and the "green" APIs (the ones that are part
of the standards and not patented), then again we have limited our liability.

The PMC is not in charge of technical direction, but the community oversight,
so I do not want to discuss how we feel about the API or what should be
improved in that sense.  The documentation looks better than could be expected
for a first alpha release--but some have voiced concerns over the image used
in them.  We do have a set of Avalon project images, and that would be
definitely acceptable.  If we want to spruce things up, we need to steer clear
of what even looks like stock images/photos.  Perhaps an art contest would
solve the issue?

Lastly, we have to discuss how to manage the increase in C# developers who
want to embrace and use Avalon#.  So far we have two people who know a little
bit of C# (actually one who knows a bit more than the other).  I think it is
very important that we have a cross-polination of ideas and concepts.  What
are the real requirements for these systems?  How do we expand on it and make
it better?  I really want to avoid having separate Java and C# avalon developer
lists.  I think we can learn from each other, and come up with ideas that the
developers who write in a different language never concidered before.

As far as CLAs are concerned, I think all the Avalon# developers are all set,
and have the CLA signed.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Managing the Duality of C# and Java

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>

>> 1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must
>> not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this
>> software in a product, an acknowledgment (see the following) in the
>> product documentation is required.
>>
>> Portions Copyright © 2002-2003 James W. Newkirk, Michael C. Two,
>> Alexei A. Vorontsov, Charlie Poole or Copyright © 2000-2003 Philip A.
>> Craig
>>
>> 2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must
>> not be misrepresented as being the original software.
>>
>> 3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source
>> distribution.
>>

>> It looks compatible to me.
>

> Do the related sources actually include the above statements as an
> adendum to the ASL 1.1?

Log4Net uses the ASL license.  The NUnit license is the text I included
above in its entirety.  It is not an addendum, it *is* the license.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> 1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must
> not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this
> software in a product, an acknowledgment (see the following) in the
> product documentation is required.
>
> Portions Copyright © 2002-2003 James W. Newkirk, Michael C. Two,
> Alexei A. Vorontsov, Charlie Poole or Copyright © 2000-2003 Philip A.
> Craig
>
> 2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must
> not be misrepresented as being the original software.
>
> 3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source
> distribution.
>

> It looks compatible to me.

Do the related sources actually include the above statements as an
adendum to the ASL 1.1?

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: Managing the Duality of C# and Java

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Ok. We are faced with a soon release of Avalon#, with a language most of us
> don't know a great deal about.  The language barrier should not stop us,
> but
> we do have some things we need to manage.  This is a PMC discussion, but I
> CC'd developers so they can eavesdrop.
>
> The first order of business is ensuring the licensing of the code.  Is it
> directly making use of GPL or LGPL code?  I.e. if Log4Net is GPL/LPGL then
> we cannot have it in CVS, and we would have to develop a real way to
> separate
> its use completely.  Again, NUnit and Nant are used.  Nant is a tool,
> and as
> such does not necessarily require that we exclude its use, just that we
> require
> our users to install it separately.  It does have an installer.  NUnit is a
> bit different, and if I recall has what I thought was a compatible license.
> We need to verify that.  Also, we need to know if there are any other 3rd
> party libraries/utilities.  The last time I checked, I think we are in the
> clear--we just need to do another verification before any release is
> concidered.

Log4Net is clear: ASL license
NAnt must be a separate download, and the best we can do is provide a link
to their web page.  It is GPL, but it is a tool that is meant to be installed,
and it uses an XML file just like ANT to do the build.
NUnit is a little less clear.  It uses the "zlib/libpng License", does anyone
know if that works with ASL?  The link is here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/nunit/nunit20/license.rtf

The text is:

Copyright © 2002-2003 James W. Newkirk, Michael C. Two, Alexei A. Vorontsov,
Charlie Poole
Copyright © 2000-2003 Philip A. Craig

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In
no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of
this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including
commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to
the following restrictions: