Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> on 2009/01/08 10:53:41 UTC

GSoC '09

Friends,

GSoC '09 is a go[1], which is great news. According to mail from
Leslie it's a little scaled back this year as you'd expect, but
stipends remain the same ($4500 / student, $500 / org).

I've updated our idea page (http://qpid.apache.org/gsoc.html) and
removed the ones that have already been completed or are no longer
relevant.

If you're a student, and you're looking for a summer job or a master
project, GSoC is a great way to get involved in Open Source software
and earn some money. It also looks good on a CV. The #1 piece of
feedback from mentors about what makes a succesful student last year
was engagement with the community. You don't need to wait until the
program starts up fully to get involved, feel free to download the
code and start hacking. ;)

- Aidan

[1] One of the major feedback points from '08 seems to have been "more
time at the start"
http://qpid.apache.org

Re: GSoC '09

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Lahiru Samarakoon <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a final year student in Department of Computer Science &
> Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am interested in

Will you still be a student during the period covered by GSoC? This is
normally May-August.

> participating gsoc '09 by contributing to the qpid project. I have
> gone through the updated idea page of the project and interested in
> "qpid-android-demo".
>
> I have checked out the qpid source and built it. And I tried some jms examples.
>
> Is this idea is vacant? If it is how should I proceed?

Nobody's claimed anything yet, it's still some time away from the
project allocation period. I think the first thing to do would be to
figure out what works on android and what doesn't. Does android
provide all the APIs that we need? Does MINA work there?

Thanks for your interest!

- Aidan

http://qpid.apache.org

GSoC '09

Posted by Lahiru Samarakoon <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aidan,

I am a final year student in Department of Computer Science &
Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am interested in
participating gsoc '09 by contributing to the qpid project. I have
gone through the updated idea page of the project and interested in
"qpid-android-demo".

I have checked out the qpid source and built it. And I tried some jms examples.

Is this idea is vacant? If it is how should I proceed?

Thanks and Regards,
Lahiru Thilina Samarakoon
University of Moratuwa