Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Paul Wellner Bou <we...@bryter.io> on 2020/12/21 10:43:34 UTC

XWPF: Clearing a run containing white space

Good morning,

I am trying to clear an XWPFRun completely -- not removing it, but just setting it to an empty string. And I have no success if the run contains white space, for example tabs.

I set up a very simple example (in Groovy, as this is the most easy and fastest way to showcase it, with dependencies) to reproduce this issue:

https://github.com/paulwellnerbou/apache-poi-testcases/blob/main/run/clearRun.groovy

How do I clear runs completely even with tab stops? Is this a bug in Apache POI XWPF or am I doing anything wron?

Thank you very much!

Re: XWPF: Clearing a run containing white space

Posted by Paul Wellner Bou <we...@bryter.io>.
Hello,

thank you. Unfortunately, this does not help. I changed the example and added more output. Let's say we take run[1] of this paragraph:

def run = nameParagraph.runs[1]
println("run text: '"+ run.text()+"'")

def lastIndexOfTArray = run.CTR.sizeOfTArray()
println("lastIndexOfTArray: " + lastIndexOfTArray)

for (i in 0..lastIndexOfTArray) {
    println(i+ ":'" + run.getText(i)+"'")
    run.setText("", i)
}

This will correctly print the whitespace, but getText(i) is always null:

> run text: '     '
> lastIndexOfTArray: 0
> 0:'null'

And setText seems to work, but this won't replace the whitespace. Where can I find the whitespace in this run, and how to I overwrite it?

Thank you and Kind regards
Paul.

Is the range in "for (i in 0..lastIndexOfTArray) {" including the last
index? I.e. as you use "-1" in the line above, the check in the for-loop
needs to be "<= lastIndexOfTArray".

At least I had the same behavior in Java with "for (int i = 0; i <
lastIndexOfArray; i++)", but it works fine with ">=".

Regards... Dominik.

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,