Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert Paulsen <ro...@paulsenonline.net> on 2004/05/29 13:58:59 UTC

svn:ignore -- Not working for me!

I have set the svn:ignore property correctly, I think, but it doesn't work.

Here is a listing of the contents of a directory under svn version control:

	.svn
	Makefile
	README
	hello.c
	howdy.c -> hello.c

I issued the following command:

	svn propset 'svn:ignore' howdy.c .

The contents of .svn/dir-props:

	K 10
	svn:ignore
	V 8
	howdy.c

	END

Here is the result of "svn add *"

	A         Makefile
	A         README
	A         hello.c
	svn: Unsupported node kind for path 'howdy.c'

Why isn't howdy.c ignored?

--
Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
robert@paulsenonline.net

Re: svn:ignore -- Not working for me!

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Robert Paulsen <ro...@paulsenonline.net> writes:

> 	A         Makefile
> 	A         README
> 	A         hello.c
> 	svn: Unsupported node kind for path 'howdy.c'
>
> Why isn't howdy.c ignored?

(Just a guess) because you explicitly asked to add it (it was one of
the items expaded by the wildcard *).  I think Subversion will ignore
ignores in cases where you tell it to explicitly add something.

Re: svn:ignore -- Not working for me!

Posted by Robert Paulsen <ro...@paulsenonline.net>.
On Saturday 29 May 2004 09:58 am, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Robert Paulsen <ro...@paulsenonline.net> writes:

> > > (Just a guess) because you explicitly asked to add it (it was one of
> > > the items expaded by the wildcard *).  I think Subversion will ignore
> > > ignores in cases where you tell it to explicitly add something.
> >
> > Well, then I'm not sure what good svn:ignore is. In this little
> > example I put together I could easily pick and choose which files to
> > ad, but If I have a directory tree with hundreds of files and a few
> > symlinks scattered around what am I supposed to do?
>
> If you were recursively adding a tree (like 'svn add some-dir'), you
> wouldn't see this.  It's only because you *explicitly asked Subversion
> to add a symlink* that it said, "No, I'm sorry, I can't do that."  Of
> course, right now there is a problem with running 'svn add' on an
> already versioned directory (see Issue #939), so you can't simply do
> 'svn add .' -- tough luck (for now).  :-\

AHA! I think I am beginning to see the light!

1. The problem (of svn:ignore not being honored) goes away if one adds or
imports a directory instead of "*", except for issue #939.
2. When one adds by directory name, symlinks are ignored automatically,
without requiring the svn:ignore property.

--
Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
robert@paulsenonline.net