Posted to users@flex.apache.org by slmille4 <sl...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/02 21:08:04 UTC

Current Apache Flex CSS performance?

Back in 2010, apparently the CSS performance in Flex wasn't that great,
especially for complex stuff like descendent selectors:
http://jan.varwig.org/archive/flex-4-performance-tips

How is Apache Flex performance with CSS doing at the moment? Do the caveats
listed here (problems with infinite loops, descendent selectors) still
apply? If I'm working on a mobile (iPad) project, would using CSS be
recommended?

Cheers,
Steve M.

RE: Current Apache Flex CSS performance?

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>If I'm working on a mobile (iPad) project, would using CSS be recommended?

You can't do otherwise:  CSS are anyway used in the core Mobile Flex components, and many of them use descendant CSS.
(few examples from mobile theme defaults.css):
 ActionBar ButtonBase
ActionBar Group#navigationGroup Button
ActionBar Group#navigationGroup Button.emphasized
ActionBar.beveled Group#actionGroup Button.emphasized
Callout ViewNavigator ActionBar.beveled Group#navigationGroup Button
Etc...

Moreover, mobile Flex uses the new @media CSS which allows to use different CSS settings for different DPI / OS.

Now, if you mean "not using CSS at all in your own code":
There are 100+ CSS entries in the mobile theme, plus the ones in the other SWC projects if you are using them (Charts, etc...) .

So unless you are using dozens of CSS in your own code,  I am not sure it will really make a difference,  and you will certainly lose in maintenability/flexibility if you hardcode everything.

You can use Adobe Scout to measure the performance gain of using/ not using CSS on your project.

Regards,

Maurice