Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1997/06/16 22:17:28 UTC

Really sporadic Email

Is it just me, or does Email on new-httpd and the CVS list
seem very spotty lately? I'm still waiting on getting the CVS
email about Dean's buff changes even though they showed up in
the tree "awhile" ago :/

Re: Really sporadic Email

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Dean, is twinlark ready to be a relay for taz.hyperreal.com?

Sure, I've put taz.hyperreal.com in the machines that I'll allow to relay
through twinlark.  But don't give me all your mail please!  I know you've
got lots of high volume lists ;)  I'll take apache load.

Dean

Re: Really sporadic Email

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 11:17 AM 6/17/97 -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>Yeah we could possibly do this -- using twinlark.arctic.org as the
>exploder.  hyperreal and twinlark have private ether between them
>("network for free wherever possible"...) and twinlark's pipe to the world
>isn't anywhere near capacity.  But the bandwidth choke is on the router
>that hyperreal is attached to ...
>
>And qmail isn't the friendliest at letting you set up something like that
>in a way that actually saves bandwidth.

Right, that's the central problem, though remember sendmail is the SMTP
daemon, qmail is just the delivery daemon, so I could actually hand it off
some other way.

Isn't there a way I could call sendmail on the command line, with the right
set of -o options or something, to relay all mail to another machine?  Hmm,
one can't really give sendmail a list of recipients from a file easily though.

One way I used to do something like this, before qmail, was to rewrite mail
aliases right before shipping them off like so:

  brian@organic.com  -> brian%organic.com@relay

I suppose I could set that up, through twinlark.  Then there'll be no delay.

Dean, is twinlark ready to be a relay for taz.hyperreal.com?

	Brian
brian@organic.com          http://www.apache.org          brian@hyperreal.com

from-cvs last version not build on NT

Posted by Giovanni Maruzzelli <ma...@matrice.it>.
Hi,

sorry if this is an obvious resolved problem, but ...

I've tried to compile on NT the last from-cvs version, dated 17 jun 0700,
but the makefile (apache.mak) refers to files that are no more in the nt
subdir, like nt.c and ntcrypt.c.

Also, the regex don't compile at all, 'cause there's not the .ih files
in that dir.

ciao,

-giovanni

          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *    MATRICE srl                              *
          *    Information Technology Solutions         *
          *                                             *
          *    Giovanni Maruzzelli                      *
          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *    maruzz@matrice.it                        *
          *    http://www.matrice.it                    *

Re: Really sporadic Email

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Re: Really sporadic Email

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.

Re: Really sporadic Email

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
It is a problem local to hyperreal's network.  It's bandwidth limited in a
manner that causes ugly packet loss.  Brian also decreased the
concurrencyremote of his qmail setup, so its mailqueue is quite full with
all the mail it deals with.  The push to direct traffic to the mirrors is
motivated by the bandwidth limiting.

It might be better to just take ftp.apache.org and www.apache.org out of
the mirror script rotation completely... but if we do that we might want
to "sanction" some other mirrors by giving them aliases under apache.org.
Like make ftp2.us.apache.org an alias for apache.arctic.org, and
www2.us.apache.org an alias for apache.arctic.org.

I know personally when I am selecting a mirror for other packages I only
select domains that I trust, and frequently that means I don't trust most
of the mirrors.  The dns naming is kinda like extending the trust...

Dean