Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Murli Varadachari <mu...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2006/09/23 02:14:20 UTC

Recommendations on good GUI based subversion clients

I am currently in the process of migrating a  very large CVS repository to
subversion.
I have installed svn 1.4.0 and finished setting up the server to support
svn, svn+ssh
and http protocols.

This is primarily a linux shop and our development / build / release
activities  are on RHEL4, Debian and freebsd platforms.

I am looking for some good open-source tools ( web based as well as lnx
applications) for

(a) browsing the subversion repository. It should be capable of diff'ing
between file versions and between user workspace and repository (
easy-to-understand GUI).

(b) svn clients that can be used for standard development ( co, ci etc)

Appreciate some good recommendations ( that ones that you have actually
used!)

cheers
murli

Re: Recommendations on good GUI based subversion clients

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.
I like smartsvn for GUIs.  However, if you are mainly working on
linux, the command line is so easy to use I mainly use that.

On 9/23/06, Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net> wrote:

>     Murli> I am looking for some good open-source tools ( web based as
>     Murli> well as lnx applications) for
>
>     Murli> (b) svn clients that can be used for standard development (
>     Murli> co, ci etc)
>
> Try KDESvn (http://www.alwins-world.de/programs/kdesvn/) -- I've tried
> pretty much every GUI client out there, and it's the only one I can
> think of for Linux that seems usable (i.e., is maintained, and
> implements most of the svn features).  I don't particularly like it,
> but it seems to work.
>
> Of esvn (http://esvn.umputun.com/) I noted "On Windows, it was crude,
> awkward, amateurish, and just plain incorrect ... although I must
> admit I played with r1257 from the trunk, on Linux, and it didn't seem
> bad."
>
> Now, if you ever need Windows clients, the situation is different:
> TortoiseSVN (http://TortoiseSVN.tigris.org/) is _remarkably_ good.
> It's reliably maintained, and brilliantly designed.
> --
> Okay, a word about VoteHere: This is the company that has no
> visible means of support.  It doesn't seem to sell anything.
>         -- Bev Harris, blackboxvoting.org

Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy."

Re: Recommendations on good GUI based subversion clients

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.