Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Zhan, Jimmy" <jz...@casham.com> on 2007/02/16 01:54:42 UTC

HOW TO turn on client Certificate with pop "choose a digital certificate" window

Hi,

   I have set up HTTPS for tomcat without client certificate, and it is
running good.  Now I want to turn on the client certificate.

   How can to config the tomcat, let pop a "Choose a digital
certificate" window, allow clients pick Choose a digital certificate,

   If failed , pop a new window to allow user input "User Name" and
"Password".

   In file servrer.xml ,  if change clientAuth="true", then when client
is not in the "truststoreFile",

                "The page cannot be display" comes out.

  If change clientAuth="want", then, tomcat ignores the result of
checking client certificate.

  Thanks in advance!!

Jimmy ZHAN

Cash America International

Re: HOW TO turn on client Certificate with pop "choose a digital certificate" window

Posted by Pulkit Singhal <pu...@gmail.com>.
For IE if you try to go to a https URL directly that requires Client Authn,
IE itself will pop u a winddow.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I can see two ways to do this:
1) Tomcat-Specific:  Use clientAuth="want" on the Connector, and configure
the webapp to use BASIC auth in web.xml.  You then add a Valve that looks
for the cert, and authenticates the user based on the cert if possible.
2) Similar in that you still have clientAuth="want", but you have a Filter
in your webapp that looks for the cert, and if it doesn't find it it returns
a proper 401 response asking for Basic auth.  While this is portable across
containers, it has the downside that it doesn't allow you to use
container-managed security (e.g. <security-constraint>).