Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by spamassassin <sp...@peaksystemperformance.com> on 2006/12/16 22:37:35 UTC

starting spamd

Good afternoon, I am running into an issue with spamassassin.  According
to the logs I am being denied permissions to the root homedirectory

bayes: cannot open bayes databases /root/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/O: tie
failed: Permission denied
Dec 16 14:31:47 tracyrh02 spamd[8124]: spamd: processing message
<13...@web52304.mail.yahoo.com> for root:501
Dec 16 14:31:47 tracyrh02 spamd[8124]: bayes: cannot open bayes
databases /root/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile
/root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.tracyrh02.8124 for
/root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: Permission denied

Could not extract score from <Yes, score=8.4 required=5.0
tests=INFO_TLD,RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB,
        RCVD_IN_XBL,SUBJECT_SEXUAL,URIBL_SBL autolearn=no version=3.1.4

I tried to start spamd with the following

spamd --helper-home-dir=/home/spamd --username=spamd --groupname=spamd
--allow-tell -d start

But it continues to try to access the root home folder and gets
permission denied.

Can anyone please tell me what I am missing

Thank you,

Richard Tracy

Re: starting spamd

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 02:37:35PM -0700, spamassassin wrote:
> bayes: cannot open bayes databases /root/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/O: tie
> failed: Permission denied
>
> spamd --helper-home-dir=/home/spamd --username=spamd --groupname=spamd
> --allow-tell -d start

the spamd user is unlikely to be able to access root's homedir.

> But it continues to try to access the root home folder and gets
> permission denied.
> Can anyone please tell me what I am missing

How are you trying to use spamd?  If site-wide, use bayes_path and the other
appropriate config options to do side-wide.  If per-user, don't force spamd to
run as non-root.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
I'm just a peripheral visionary.