Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> on 2013/06/06 07:20:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] code-freeze and integration tests

Hi,

I would like to get everyone's opinions on the timeline and policies
for bringing in automated tests into the repo. Integration tests are
written in marvin by various people today within and without Citrix.
Similar to docs I'd like to propose that tests can be committed to the
repository beyond the freeze date.

Right now all tests are being committed to master since that's the
branch that we cut our releases out of. But after the branch for a
release has been cut tests will be committed to both release branch
and master if everyone agrees this is a good thing.

Thoughts?

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: [DISCUSS] code-freeze and integration tests

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 10:50:03AM +0530, Prasanna Santhanam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to get everyone's opinions on the timeline and policies
> for bringing in automated tests into the repo. Integration tests are
> written in marvin by various people today within and without Citrix.
> Similar to docs I'd like to propose that tests can be committed to the
> repository beyond the freeze date.
>
> Right now all tests are being committed to master since that's the
> branch that we cut our releases out of. But after the branch for a
> release has been cut tests will be committed to both release branch
> and master if everyone agrees this is a good thing.
>
> Thoughts?

Looks like we have a consensus then to bring in tests post-freeze.
I'll end this discussion without a VOTE then.

Thanks everyone!

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
It should not affect tests.  We want to move to mostly if not all automated tests.  If we freeze the tests that means no more testing for the release.  :P

--Alex

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

[Animesh>] Yes it is obvious tests should be allowed.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.
+1  Feature freeze and even RC timelines should not be applicable to automation tests at this time. BVT and other regression tests would continue to be developed beyond release date as well in reality. So dates should not hold for Automation.

 However having some timeline restriction would help to bring automation to the same level as code base.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to get everyone's opinions on the timeline and policies
> for bringing in automated tests into the repo. Integration tests are
> written in marvin by various people today within and without Citrix.
> Similar to docs I'd like to propose that tests can be committed to the
> repository beyond the freeze date.
>
> Right now all tests are being committed to master since that's the
> branch that we cut our releases out of. But after the branch for a
> release has been cut tests will be committed to both release branch
> and master if everyone agrees this is a good thing.

I am in full agreement - code freeze shouldn't affect tests IMO.

--David