Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Timo <Ma...@gmx.de> on 2015/09/01 20:25:07 UTC

What does the TODO refering to a "jarjar" format in the maven-assembly-plugin jar-with-dependencies example mean?

Hello everyone,

a question on Stack Overflow made me curious about the following line
in the jar-with-dependencies example descriptor file
(http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/descriptor-refs.html#jar-with-dependencies):

<!-- TODO: a jarjar format would be better -->

What does this mean? Is it refering to jarjar
(https://code.google.com/p/jarjar/) or to something like what the
Spring Boot Maven plugin does?

Thanks for any insight!
Timo

Re: What does the TODO refering to a "jarjar" format in the maven-assembly-plugin jar-with-dependencies example mean?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
So if you have type=jar then dependencies of that artifact are transitive.

What I suspect was intended was to introduce a new packaging type (i.e.
jarjar) that was added to the classpath but does not pull in dependencies
to indicate a jar with its dependencies included...

At least that is what my gut tells me might have been the reason... no clue
if it actually is the reason however!

Posted by Timo <Ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Timo <Ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.