Posted to dev@kibble.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2018/09/14 10:37:11 UTC

Update from CHAOSS Meetings 11-12 September 2018

Hi All

I attended a couple of CHAOSS meetings this week and mentioned that I would send a brief update to this list. The main ones I picked up were:

- CHAOSSCon Europe is happening on Friday 1st February 2019 in Brussels (Note that it is the day before FOSDEM!). They are currently looking for a location.

- Metrics in Practice: They are looking for some more examples of how community metrics are used in practice (I think we will be able to provide some feedback here especially with the feedback we have coming in from the pilot projects)

- Re-organisation and re-naming of of the Growth, Maturity and Decline (GMD) Github repo: https://github.com/chaoss/wg-gmd (Changes have been suggested and this is currently out for feedback before updating)

- The GMD workgroup would like to focus on Use Cases related to the current metrics that have been defined (I think we will be able to provide some feedback here based on what has been implemented in Kibble as well as information from the pilot projects)

- Sample implementation of metrics: They are using Jupyter notebooks as a way to show examples of the GMD metrics have been implemented. (Can we setup a notebook for some Kibble data and logic?)

Anyone is welcome to join the CHAOSS meetings and the next meetings are as follows:
- The next weekly meeting is Tuesday 18th September 2018
- The next GMD Workgroup meeting is 26th September 2018

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Update from CHAOSS Meetings 11-12 September 2018

Posted by Sharan <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel

I think the current notebooks that CHAOSS have are based on data
extracts using Grimoirelab's Perceval

https://github.com/chaoss/wg-gmd/tree/master/examples

OK - it sounds like adding a Jupyter notebook for Kibble doesn't
actually make sense, and that simply installing Kibble will give you
everything you need. Let me see if I can find out what the objective is
supposed to be here.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 09/14/2018 12:37 PM, Sharan Foga wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I attended a couple of CHAOSS meetings this week and mentioned that I would send a brief update to this list. The main ones I picked up were:
>
> - CHAOSSCon Europe is happening on Friday 1st February 2019 in Brussels (Note that it is the day before FOSDEM!). They are currently looking for a location.
>
> - Metrics in Practice: They are looking for some more examples of how community metrics are used in practice (I think we will be able to provide some feedback here especially with the feedback we have coming in from the pilot projects)
>
> - Re-organisation and re-naming of of the Growth, Maturity and Decline (GMD) Github repo: https://github.com/chaoss/wg-gmd (Changes have been suggested and this is currently out for feedback before updating)
>
> - The GMD workgroup would like to focus on Use Cases related to the current metrics that have been defined (I think we will be able to provide some feedback here based on what has been implemented in Kibble as well as information from the pilot projects)
>
> - Sample implementation of metrics: They are using Jupyter notebooks as a way to show examples of the GMD metrics have been implemented. (Can we setup a notebook for some Kibble data and logic?)
>
> Anyone is welcome to join the CHAOSS meetings and the next meetings are as follows:
> - The next weekly meeting is Tuesday 18th September 2018
> - The next GMD Workgroup meeting is 26th September 2018
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

The GMD stuff makes me think of our community retention charts, like
this one;
https://demo.kibble.apache.org/engagement.html?page=retention&subfilter=httpd
where you can clearly see growth, maturity and eventual (slow, on-going)
decline of httpd as other web servers become popular. This isn't to say
httpd is dying, but that other projects are now having a bite of the web
server cake as well. We _could_ grab some attic'ed projects and look at
the retention charts for them, it is usually very visible there when a
project has peaked.

With regards,
Daniel.