Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/25 08:57:20 UTC

Overlapping role descriptions

Hi All,

At http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles we have
descriptions for the user and the developer roles. But the descriptions are
overlapping.

For *user* we have:

A *user* is someone that uses our software. They contribute to the Apache
projects by providing feedback to developers in the form of bug reports and
feature suggestions. Users participate in the Apache community by helping
other users on mailing lists and user support forums.

And for *developer* we have:

A *developer* is a user who contributes to a project in the form of code or
documentation. They take extra steps to participate in a project, are
active on the developer mailing list, participate in discussions, provide
patches, documentation, suggestions, and criticism. Developers are also
known as *contributors* .

Better would be to change the *user* definition to:

A user is a person or organisation experiencing a benefit from
the contributions made to the ASF in general or a project in particular.

And the *developer* definition should be removed and replaced with a
*contributor* definition:

A contributor is a person who contributes to a project of the ASF and
therefore to the ASF. Contributions are (but not limited to) participations
in mailing lists, conferences, providing improvements to code,
documentation, supplying suggestions and criticism to further the project
in particular and the ASF in general.

Recognised contributors are contributors who have also a signed Contributor
License Agreement (CLA) <http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas> on file.

Both new descriptions remove the ambiguity regarding using and contributing
from the old descriptions, and the new one for contributor feeds into the
diversity aspect.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*OFBiz Extensions Marketplace*
http://oem.ofbizci.net

Re: Overlapping role descriptions

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 26.09.2015 16:16, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Branko,
>
> I am not talking about walls, only about removing confusion from
> definitions.

The question that I keep repeating that you haven't answered is: whose
confusion? Can you show that people are actually confused by our current
definitions? Are *you* confused by them?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Branko,

I am not talking about walls, only about removing confusion from
definitions. A contributor can be user, as much as he/she can choose not to

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
It is all about removing potential confusion and sending clear messages.

*re: user*
A user benefits from the contributions. He/she or them (the organisation)
can happily do so without ever interacting with a projects community. They
may even be a subscriber to any or all mailing lists of the ASF without
ever posting anything to a mailing list. They may also enhance the works of
a project without sharing it with the project. Hence the part about users
contributing should removed from the definition.

*re: developer*
The main part of the description ( ... who contributes to a project in the
form of code or documentation) reads as contributors to the works of the
project. As such a developer defines a subset of the contributors
definition. In the existing description any person involved in furthering
the project in other ways (e.g. promotions, community development) is
negated.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Pierre, although your new descriptions make sense I still prefer the
originals.  Projects have separate mailing lists for developers and users,
so people need to understand the difference.  And users can contribute too.

Perhaps a third description for "contributor" could clarify the overlap.

-- Lefty

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 25.09.2015 08:57, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> At http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles we have
> descriptions for the user and the developer roles. But the descriptions are
> overlapping.

So what exactly is wrong with the fact that the roles overlap?

-- Brane