Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com> on 2008/02/14 17:31:31 UTC

Questions on Description assertions

This is probably a question for Arthur, but I'll accept any takers.  The
WSDL spec defines these 3 document assertions:

Description-1001:
The value of the targetNamespace attribute information item SHOULD be
dereferencable.?

Description-1002:
 It SHOULD resolve to a human or machine processable document that
directly or indirectly defines the intended semantics of those components.
?

Description-1003
It MAY resolve to a WSDL 2.0 document that provides service description
information for that namespace.?

I think I can test the 1001 assertion just by connecting to stream and
seeing if I can get something back. I'm not sure how to test 1002 and
1003.  For 1002, how to check for the 'intended semantics'? For 1003, the
'WSDL 2.0 document' referred to be the assertion text sounds like the same
one I'm trying to validate?

Should we just focus on the Error assertions for now (e.g. those that say
"MUST"), and just document any Warning assertions ("SHOULD", "MAY") that
we ignore?

regards,
John Kaputin

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: Questions on Description assertions

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ar...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

I think these assertions are testable.

1. We can certainly test that the namespace URI is deferencible. If not,
issue a Warning.

2. If the namespace URI is deferencible then we can do some tests on what we
get back. For example, check the mime type. If its html, txt, pdf, or
similar type of document, then assume it's human readable. If it's WSDL then
do a check that it has the same namespace, otherwise issue a warning. Also,
there is a spec called RDDL which extends XHTML. If we get RDDL then we can
check that this namespace is actually described, i.e. if RDDL and this
namespace is not described in it, issue a warning. We could do similar
checks for RDF or OWL documents, i.e. they should be about this namespace.

-- Arthur

Posted by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>.
Lawrence,