Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/24 20:41:00 UTC

Starting up Tomcat when the Linux starts up

Hi

How can I startup Tomcat when Linux starts up? I've successfully
compiled JSVC and have started Tomcat 5.5.7 using it for several
times...

BTW - Why I can't see the console output of Tomcat in Linux like
Windows (i.e. warnings, infos, messages, ...)?

Best Regards,
--

Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa

Re: Starting up Tomcat when the Linux starts up

Posted by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@gmail.com>.
I'll have a look at it...

Thanks,
Behrnag.

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
There should be an example tomcat5.sh with your distribution of jsvc.
If not, download the most recent release from the Commons Daemon project
at jakarta.apache.org and get a copy from there.  Customize it with the
options you use and you should be good to go.

Splitting out put between console and log:  check your linux man pages
for the tee command.  It's designed to split output between standard out
and a file.

--David

Posted by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response.

BTW - I'm new to Linux :-) and don't know much about it...

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:13:09 -0500, David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu> wrote:
> Depends on your flavor of linux.  Mandrake (I've heard RH is similar)

I'm using Ubuntu which is a Debian based distro.

> stores the init script in /etc/init.d with a sym link in
> /etc/rc[runlevel-here].d.

I know that, for example, init scripts of MySQL and Samba are stored
in /etc/init.d. I actually installed MySQL and Samba using apt and it
took care of the rest of the progess...

>For example, if your script is tomcat5, then

Do I have to create this script by myself? Should the contents of it
be the same as the command that I write to run Tomcat using JSVC?

> tomcat5 would be stored /etc/init.d w/ a sym link to it from
> /etc/rc5.d.  5 being the runlevel where X is started and run.  The name
> of the sym link is S[some-priority-number]tomcat5.  Take a look at your
> linux docs and other services for more info.  Low numbers are started
> first, high numbers last.

Can you help me a bit more?

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.