Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/16 14:19:42 UTC

Re: [GSoC2015] list of accepted projects

Hello Sergio, Peter,

It's my honor to be a GSoC student. I appreciate your help for the comments
of the project proposal.
I read the proposed methodology you pointed out. But it seems my project is
only related to Sesame and RDF HDT, without touching the code base of
Marmotta. Should I fork Marmotta in github, or start a new repository there?
Will my code be merged into Marmotta in the end? If so, which module of
Marmotta?

yours,
junyue

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Maybe we can start with that: collecting a set of files for the project
> testing.

Just pick some from http://www.rdfhdt.org/datasets/

I'd say http://gaia.infor.uva.es/hdt/swdf-2012-11-28.hdt.gz would be your
first candidate for early testing.

Posted by Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello Rob,

Thanks a lot!
I just posted the question on legal-discuss@.

yours,
junyue

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
HI Peter,

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 1:38 AM, Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have not yet subscribed to the legal mailing list, but if there was
> a response since Junyue's query there, I will find it in an archive
> and respond to it.

Neither do I... but I think legal-discuss@ accepts mails from
non-subscribers for such occasional questions.

Junyue, any reply to your inquiry?

> I am no more of an expert than anyone else, but my intention was
> definitely to have a completely new implementation, but we may not
> have communicated that clearly enough.

I though that was clear... the spec should be as good as the current code
to provide a reliable implementation in the available time frame. Even
Javier has offer volunteer to improve the last details documented there and
help if necessary.

Let's see...

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
On 16 June 2015 at 19:10, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> thanks for jumping in the discussion, all points of view are welcomed.
>
> I'll answer you inline.
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org> wrote:
>
>> Note that Apache projects are allowed to rely on LGPL libraries provided
>> they are optional dependencies
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional
>>
>> So if most users won't want/need RDF/HT (which I strongly suspect is the
>> case) then it would be perfectly fine to have the RDF/HT parser module
>> rely on the Java HDT library provided that Marmotta users have to manually
>> opt-in to enabling RDF/HT support and it isn't included by default
>>

> That could be right if we would want to use such dependency. But knowing
> the licensing issue, the goal of MARMOTTA-593 was always "the mplementation
> of RDF HDT from scratch". Therefore what Junyue was asking about
> "inspiring" himself with that code we are in a completely different
> scenario. So, in that context, we are actually out of the clauses that LGPL
> provides for the usage as library, and we directly jump in the GPL clauses
> as derived work. And that's the IP issue here now.
>
> Btw the "don't look at it" argument has always seemed dumb to me since
>> when you get down to it there are only so many ways to do things
>> particularly when you are implementing a formal specification like this.
>> This is especially true in the case of binary formats where the low level
>> code is always going to boil down to something along the lines of "try to
>> read next N bytes, interpret those bytes appropriately" so the only real
>> differences will be in the higher level APIs you wrap over it
>>

> Could sound dumb, but legally it's the only safe way.
>
> However I would suggest posting a thread on legal-discuss@ to get
>> clarification for people better versed in the legal issues involved

Hi Sergio,

> I think that's the best idea. I'd prefer the mentor of the project (Peter)
> takes care about dealing with this issue. But if he is busy and can't do
> it, I'll ask tomorrow.

I have not yet subscribed to the legal mailing list, but if there was
a response since Junyue's query there, I will find it in an archive
and respond to it.

I am no more of an expert than anyone else, but my intention was
definitely to have a completely new implementation, but we may not
have communicated that clearly enough.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: [GSoC2015] list of accepted projects

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <a....@ping.de>.
Sergio Fernández wrote:
> So please, don't "get inspired" by that code base, don't even llok to it,
> since we'll have an intellectual property issue.

Is that statement ("don't look at it") about LGPL-licensed source-code
(which implements a specification) a result of advise from the Apache
legal team or stated anywhere on the apache.org website ?

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: [GSoC2015] list of accepted projects

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Junyue,

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went through the W3C document. I think coding from scratch is too
> difficult for me. In the project proposal I submitted, Java HDT library[1]
> is to be reused for parsing and writing hdt files. The jena integration is
> built on top of Java HDT library as well. I reviewed the source code of
> Java HDT library, which does not strictly conform to the W3C document. If
> we follow the specification precisely, the new sesame-rio-rdfhdt module may
> not be able to dealing with the hdt files generated by Java HDT library.

The current Java implementation is GPL! That means that any derived work
would need to be licensed with the same terms. So please, don't "get
inspired" by that code base, don't even llok to it, since we'll have an
intellectual property issue.

If you find any example HDT file that does not parse with either the W3C
Member Submission or the current spec http://www.rdfhdt.org/hdt-internals/
we should contact the authors of the format.

Maybe we can start with that: collecting a set of files for the project
testing.

> I hope it's OK to stick to the original idea in the proposal. Or we may
> have problems to complete the project within the 3-month period.

We're still in the 2nd week of the program. Then the sooner we'd figure out
such things, the better for the results.

Cheers,

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems licence of the java implementation is LGPL:
>
>    - *The libraries are open source (LGPL)*. You can adapt the libraries to
>    your needs, and the community can spot and fix issues [1].
>
> Is that good news? Can we just use/link to the java library without
> modifying its code?

No Junyue, LGPL just helps to avoid the copyleft on using code as library;
but any derived work of the code itself is under the same terms than GLP.

So you _must_ not use that code as reference. That's a strong requirement
of the project. You must implement the parser from scratch based on the
available specification.

Posted by Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

[1] http://www.rdfhdt.org/what-is-hdt/

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Junyue,

Posted by Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello Peter,

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Junyue,

Posted by Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello Peter,

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Junyue,

In future, make sure that you can replicate the Eclipse errors by
trying to compile it with command line maven using "mvn clean
install". You also need to put the text of any fatal errors you see
from mvn clean install into the email.

Thanks,

Peter

Posted by Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sergio,

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Junyue

Posted by Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

https://github.com/apache/marmotta/blob/develop/libraries/kiwi/kiwi-reasoner/src/main/java/org/apache/marmotta/kiwi/reasoner/parser/KWRLProgramParserBase.java

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Junyue Wang <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello Peter,

I've forked apache/marmotta here [1] and added you in my collaborators list.
I also cloned the code from github. But it seems some of the maven modules
in the develop branch do not compile, e.g. marmotta-commons and
marmotta-rio-rss. Is that the right situation now?

yours,
hello

[1] https://github.com/junyuew/marmotta

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.