Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Henrik Hjalmarsson <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2005/04/02 11:13:13 UTC

Forced page rendering to get XML-data

In my quest to render a page content to a string I can access I have tried
the following solution

====Generate.java====
public class Generate extends BasePage
{
   private ByteArrayOutputStream stream = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
   private IMarkupWriter stringWriter = new HTMLWriter("text/xml", stream);

   public IMarkupWriter getResponseWriter(OutputStream o)
   {
      return new HTMLWriter("text/xml", o);
   }

   public void renderPage(IMarkupWriter writer, IRequestCycle cycle)
   {
      super.renderPage(stringWriter, cycle);
      HttpServletResponse response =
cycle.getRequestContext().getResponse();
      response.setContentType("text/xml");

      System.out.println("renderPage GENERATE");
      System.out.println("RESPONSE:" + stream.toString() + ":");
      writer.printRaw(stream.toString());
      stream = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
   }
}
====Generate.page====
<page-specification class="se.fyrplus.timetool3.gui.Generate">
<component id="test" type="Insert">
  <static-binding name="value" value="TESTING" />
</component>
</page-specification>
====Generate.html====
<Test>
Login kommer här...
</Test>

My output on standardout is "RESPONSE::"  that means I get no generated data
from the page. Am I completely off track on how Tapestry works ?  Any ideas
?

Thankful for any help.

Re: Forced page rendering to get XML-data

Posted by Henrik Hjalmarsson <ha...@hotmail.com>.
By using Tapestry to generate the data I could re-use an already existing
Java-class for another Tapestry page that displays data for editing instead.
I could then write only a new html-template and page specification.

I have gotten a working solution I think, by using Servlet filter, to
generate a PDF after Tapestry has generated the XML.

Posted by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo>.
Why not generate the XML data using plain old Java without Tapestry?