Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Goldstein <kv...@att.net> on 2006/03/07 21:58:55 UTC

using subversion with Xcode?

Hi,

Are there any of you out there using subversion with Xcode under OS-X?
I've just started managing an Xcode project via svnserve (not apache)
over a VPN and have noticed some surprising things:

Can anyone tell me why Xcode appears to communicate with the subversion
server so much? (the SCM item in the project window shows a spinning
progress widget whenever I save an edited source file). I'd assumed
that subversion would remain quiescent until I perform a command myself
from the SCM menu. What's going on?

Also, the svn-book (Chapter 3, page 44, "Examine Your Changes") states
that "subversion ... is able to do many things without communicating
with the repository". As far as I can figure this is not the case with
Xcode. For instance,  when performing a compare with the base revision,
Xcode never examines the local .svn "pristine cache", it always fetches
a temp copy of the base revision from the serve. If the SCM menu option
"go offline" is selected the compare and diff with base items are not
enabled at all. What gives?

Did I miss something in the subversion setup, or is the Apple
implementation a little quirky?

Thanks,
-Mark

Re: using subversion with Xcode?

Posted by Aaron Montgomery <ee...@monsterworks.com>.
On Mar 7, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Mark Goldstein wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why Xcode appears to communicate with the
> subversion server so much? (the SCM item in the project window
> shows a spinning progress widget whenever I save an edited source
> file). I'd assumed that subversion would remain quiescent until I
> perform a command myself from the SCM menu. What's going on?

I noticed this too (actually, I cannot confirm it is communicating
with the server, just that it spends a lot of time doing svn related
activity). I ended up disabling the SCM setting in Xcode and just
doing all of my subversion activity through svnX, SCPlugin and the
command line. Although it would be nice to be able to do/see this
stuff in Xcode, I get very frustrated when the editor is running
about a line behind my typing.

Sorry I cannot offer you any assistance, just a confirmation that
others are seeing this also (I'm using svn 1.3 and Apache, so this is
not limited to svnserve or to old versions of svn).

Aaron