Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Markus Schneider <sc...@occamlabs.de> on 2011/10/22 16:49:50 UTC

Best practices for creating a Windows installer with bundled webapp

Hi list,

I am not totally sure if this is the right place to ask this question,
so please excuse and point me to the right list if this is not the case.

I want to create a Windows installer for Tomcat 7.0 along with deegree
webservices [1]. These are LGPL-licensed implementations of OGC
standards (webservices that deal with geospatial stuff, such as
delivering maps). Technically, deegree is just a WAR.

My current idea looks like this:

1. Modify the Tomcat ant script to include the deegree webapp
2. Modify res/tomcat.nsi to my needs
3. Use "ant installer" to build the Windows installer

In a later step I would like to get the installer build running using
Maven, as the deegree build process is based in it.

My questions:

- Is the Tomcat license/project o.k. with deriving such a modified
installer? I would like to make it deegree-branded, i.e. it would be
named "deegree installer", I would like to use the deegree logo, etc. Of
course, we will credit Tomcat, but we want to avoid confusion for users
who just want to install deegree and don't care about the details of a
web container.
- Has anybody insights or best practices to share?
- Are there any open-source projects that use build scripts which I may
re-use?

Thanks for your comments,
Markus

[1] http://wiki.deegree.org/deegreeWiki/DownloadPage

--
Markus Schneider

Occam Labs UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Godesberger Allee 139
53175 Bonn, Germany

+49 228 93798874

http://www.occamlabs.de

Re: Best practices for creating a Windows installer with bundled webapp

Posted by Markus Schneider <sc...@occamlabs.de>.
Mark,

thanks for the quick reply.

I will have a look at the license and especially review the sections you
pointed out.

Best regards,
Markus

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.