Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2015/07/28 20:01:09 UTC

Revert 78fd2146dd until we have consensus for FLINK-2419?

Hi,

I'm a bit unhappy how we were handling
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-2419 today.

I raised a concern in the JIRA because the commit for the fix didn't
contain any tests. Our coding guidelines [1] imply that every feature
should have tests. Apparently there were not enough tests for the two bugs
fixed with commit 78fd2146dd.

Also, Gyula's answer sounds like he is not willing to add tests right now.

I can not remember if we ever reverted a commit in the Flink community, but
in my understanding, this is how ASF projects are doing lazy consensus for
commits-without-PR.
So if there is a disagreement in the associated JIRA, we revert the fix
until there is an agreement.

In this case, I did not immediately revert the commit, because I would like
to see whether others in the community agree with me.

What do you think how we should handle cases like this one in the future?

I think its very important for committers and PMC members to be a good
example when it comes to following our own rules. Otherwise, how can we ask
our contributors to adhere to these rules?

My suggestion to resolve this situation is the following:
- Revert commit 78fd2146dd
- open pull requests for FLINK-2419 and FLINK-2423 (with tests of course),
review and merge them.

Best,
Robert

[1] http://flink.apache.org/coding-guidelines.html

Re: Revert 78fd2146dd until we have consensus for FLINK-2419?

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
I think no one here is adamant about reverting anything for the sake of
reverting. Adding the test now is just fine.

The issue was declaring something as fixed and pushing the responsibility
for testing that away. I agree with Robert that this is not the type of
example by which we should lead the community and voluntary contributors.

It was good to have this discussion, for two reasons:

1) Every commit that does not go through a pull request implicitly seeks
its consensus in hind sight. If that consensus is not reached, there needs
to be a way to resolve this. Discussing, and if necessary, reverting.
Here, we exercised this for the first time.

2) It shows that the guidelines are actually not pure cosmetic. Committers
ask among themselves for the same level of quality (and tedious testing) as
we ask from outside contributors.

Both of them are well.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Sounds reasonable to me.

In addition to the test-inclusion guideline, we should also pay more
attention to our single-change-per-PR rule (or commit in case of push
without PR) to avoid discussions about unrelated changes in the future.

Cheers, Fabian

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <kt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <kt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

introduced this in your PR https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/895 which I

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <kt...@apache.org>.
I'm probably lacking a bit of context, but by reading your conversation at
JIRA it seems to me that commit

https://github.com/apache/flink/commit/78fd2146dd00da1130910d9f23f09e2504854ef7

does not contain a test, and Robert is asking for a test which means that
we do not have consensus. If this was a pull request and not a commit it
would not be merged until consensus was reached, so my opinion is that the
same should happen now: the commit should be reverted, test(s) should be
added, and then merged again (or better submitted as a PR). More so as this
is deep in the core system code.

Kostas