Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/05/06 21:45:40 UTC

Attributes on Mail

Søren,

> > > I didn't realize that JDBCMailRepository wouldn't
> > > use standard serialization for storing the Mail in
> > > the DB.
> > I was considering serializing the attributes hashtable
> > into an "Attributes" BLOB field.

> The big problem here is that a datamigration tool is
> necessary, there is, as far as I can tell, no clever
> shortcut like for the file repository.

Are you working on a patch?

Seems to me that the changes are:

  - change sqlResources.xml to accomodate the extra
    field:
    - change create
    - add updateMessageAttributesSQL
    - add retrieveMessageAttributesSQL
   - change JDBCMailRepository to store the BLOB if the
     the updateMessageAttributesSQL is present *AND*
     there are attributes
   - change JDBCMailRepository to retrieve the BLOB if
     the retrieveMessageAttributesSQL is present
   - comment out updateMessageAttributesSQL and
     retrieveMessageAttributesSQL by default in
     sqlResources.xml

In JDBCMailRepository, log and discard the SQLException of the table hasn't
be updated to allow the operation.

	--- Noel

Re: Attributes on Mail

Posted by Soeren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com>.
Thanks for the gameplan Noel, it will be a great help.
I am currently not working on a patch though (have to finish a customer
project by may 25. After that I will start on the patch (if noone else beats
me to it).

-Søren

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 21:45, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Søren,

> > > I was considering serializing the attributes hashtable
> > > into an "Attributes" BLOB field.
> >
> > The big problem here is that a datamigration tool is
> > necessary, there is, as far as I can tell, no clever
> > shortcut like for the file repository.
>
> Are you working on a patch?
>
> Seems to me that the changes are:
>
>   - change sqlResources.xml to accomodate the extra
>     field:
>     - change create
>     - add updateMessageAttributesSQL
>     - add retrieveMessageAttributesSQL
>    - change JDBCMailRepository to store the BLOB if the
>      the updateMessageAttributesSQL is present *AND*
>      there are attributes
>    - change JDBCMailRepository to retrieve the BLOB if
>      the retrieveMessageAttributesSQL is present
>    - comment out updateMessageAttributesSQL and
>      retrieveMessageAttributesSQL by default in
>      sqlResources.xml
>
> In JDBCMailRepository, log and discard the SQLException of the table hasn't
> be updated to allow the operation.
>
> 	--- Noel

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager		Phone:	+45 70 27 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S	Fax:	+45 70 27 64 40
Ved Lunden 12		Direct:	+45 87 46 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj		Email:	soren.hilmer@tietoenator.com