Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Chris Dunphy <ch...@sjrb.ca> on 2008/05/13 21:28:50 UTC

Using a JavaBean which contains a java.util.List property with CXF JAX-WS/JAXB front-end

Hello,

I am trying to use this JavaBean object as a message that I am passing
by around by means of a web service:

*** MessageTO.java ***

public class MessageTO implements Serializable {

    private String description;
    private long id;
    private List<String> stuff;

    public List<String> getStuff() {
        return stuff;
    }

    public void setStuff(List<String> stuff) {
        this.stuff = stuff;
    }

    public String getDescription() {
        return description;
    }

    public void setDescription(String description) {
        this.description = description;
    }

    public long getId() {
        return id;
    }

    public void setId(long id) {
        this.id = id;
    }
}

*** end code sample ***

I am trying to do this with Apache CXF 2.1 with the JAX-WS/JAXB
implementation.  I can get most of it to work with the dynamic client,
except for the List property "stuff", which doesn't work.

Here is some code that I wrote that prints a list of methods and their
parameters from the MessageTO bean class:

*** code sample from dynamic client ***

  URL[] classURLS = { new URL("http://mymessagews/MessageReceiver") };
        URLClassLoader classLoader = new URLClassLoader(classURLS);
        DynamicClientFactory dcf = DynamicClientFactory.newInstance();
        Client client =
dcf.createClient("http://localhost:9000/MessageReceiver?wsdl",
classLoader);

        Object message =
Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().loadClass("mymessagews.Me
ssageTO").newInstance();

        Method[] methods = message.getClass().getMethods();
        for (Method m : methods) {
            System.out.print("[ Method name: " + m.getName());
            Class[] params = m.getParameterTypes();
            for (Class p : params) {
                System.out.print("\n\tParam: " + p.getName());
            }
            System.out.print("\n\tReturn: " +
m.getReturnType().getName());
            System.out.println(" ]");
        }

*** end code sample ***

*** output of above codesnippet ***

[ Method name: getId
	Return: long ]
[ Method name: setDescription
	Param: java.lang.String
	Return: void ]
[ Method name: setId
	Param: long
	Return: void ]
[ Method name: getDescription
	Return: java.lang.String ]
[ Method name: getStuff
	Return: java.util.List ]
[ Method name: wait
	Return: void ]
[ Method name: wait
	Param: long
	Param: int
	Return: void ]
[ Method name: wait
	Param: long
	Return: void ]
[ Method name: hashCode
	Return: int ]
[ Method name: getClass
	Return: java.lang.Class ]
[ Method name: equals
	Param: java.lang.Object
	Return: boolean ]
[ Method name: toString
	Return: java.lang.String ]
[ Method name: notify
	Return: void ]
[ Method name: notifyAll
	Return: void ]

*** end output ***

The getter seems to be there, but the setter is not. Is there any kind
of annotation that I can use to get java.util.List to work, so that I
can call the setStuff(List<String> stuff) method with the dynamic JAX-WS
client?

Sadly, aegis is not an option because I can't get that to work with the
dynamic client.  I have poured over as much documentation as I could
find, but I couldn't seem to find a way to get this working.

Thanks!

Chris Dunphy
Software Developer, Enterprise Software Development
Shaw Cablesystems G.P.  750-7417 chris.dunphy@sjrb.ca
Suite 800 630 3rd Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 4L4

try {
    succeed();
} catch (const failed_error& e) {
    try {
        try_again();
    }
}

RE: Using a JavaBean which contains a java.util.List property with CXF JAX-WS/JAXB front-end

Posted by Chris Dunphy <ch...@sjrb.ca>.
Thanks for the quick reply!

That worked perfectly...

Thanks again,

// Chris Dunphy

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> [ Method name: notifyAll
> 	Return: void ]
>
> *** end output ***
>
> The getter seems to be there, but the setter is not. Is there any kind
> of annotation that I can use to get java.util.List to work, so that I
> can call the setStuff(List<String> stuff) method with the dynamic
> JAX-WS
> client?
>
> Sadly, aegis is not an option because I can't get that to work with
> the
> dynamic client.  I have poured over as much documentation as I could
> find, but I couldn't seem to find a way to get this working.
>

> Thanks!
>

> Chris Dunphy
> Software Developer, Enterprise Software Development
> Shaw Cablesystems G.P.  750-7417 chris.dunphy@sjrb.ca
> Suite 800 630 3rd Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 4L4

---
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog