Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2019/04/05 18:21:41 UTC

plugins.netbeans.org / netbeans.org

Hi all,

After the 11.0 release announcement, where we migrated most of
bits.netbeans.org, shall we tackle the plugins.netbeans.org website and
infrastructure for 12.0? Or is it too early? Also, what's missing in
netbeans.apache.org that still exists in netbeans.org and we want to keep?

I can't remember when the infra @ Oracle for plugins.netbeans.org is
going to be shutdown, but the sooner we start thinking on hosting the
plugins, the better. This is something that is going to take us long, I
think.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Antonio

Re: plugins.netbeans.org / netbeans.org

Posted by Brad Walker <bw...@musings.com>.
I'm a newbie to the Netbeans community but this does sound reasonable to me.

I'm particularly interested because of the C/C++ plugin source.. And if I
can help with that one, I'm more than happy to put some effort into it.

-brad w.

Posted by "hanasaki@gmail.com" <ha...@gmail.com>.
Suggestion:
	- no need for plugin registry and hashes in plugin registry
	- use the maven/gradle resolver lib for plugin dependencies
		: reuse repo libs from mvn, gradle or Arquillian
	- publish the plugin in standard mvn central
	- if there is need of extra "plugin specific" metadata
		: store in a META file (like WAR's have web.xml)
		: maybe go with JSON not XML based on current trends
	- maybe a file extension of ....netbeans.plugin.jar ??

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Sure, go for it, put it together.

The advantage of Maven Central is that it is well established, has well
defined co-ordinates, has mirrors, and together with all the other
artifacts, a plugin author could include the NBM file, together with the
JARs, etc, e.g., here:

https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/netbeans/plugin/support/embedded/jetty-9-embedded-command-manager/1.3.0/

I.e., each entry in Maven Central has co-ordinates such as these,
completely standardized:

<groupId>org.netbeans.plugin.support.embedded</groupId>
<artifactId>jetty-9-embedded-command-manager</artifactId>
<version>1.3.0</version>

Why not leverage these clearly defined ways of distributing and accessing
artifacts?

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Definitely no discussion needed on this point -- we cannot host the plugins
at Apache. We can, however, host the Plugin Portal itself, via the Apache
NetBeans VM, though we'll need to have it so that plugins cannot be
uploaded, instead, the plugin author will add a new page for their plugin
with co-ordinates to Maven Central where the NBM will be found.

Gj

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

AW: plugins.netbeans.org / netbeans.org

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: plugins.netbeans.org / netbeans.org

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Regarding submitting to Maven Central (1)...this may be of help.

https://central.sonatype.org/pages/ossrh-guide.html

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Thanks for a fast reply. Some comments/ideas inlined below.

El 05/04/2019 a las 20:31, Geertjan Wielenga escribió:
> Here's the rough proposal:
>
> 1. Move all the plugins to Maven Central. Blockers: we don't know how to do
> that, if someone can advise, that will help.

A previous step would be defining what "all the plugins" means. :-)

I haven't seen the plugins.netbeans.org app yet (will do that soon), but
I imagine that it has a database or something we can use to find out
what "all the plugins" exactly means. Is that database available?

Also I imagine we can use Maven Central _and_ github. Maybe contributors
want to host their released binaries in github, and we could use that to
download the binaries.

Examples of NBM files hosted in github:

https://github.com/dcaoyuan/nbscala/releases (no NBMs)
https://github.com/nbphpcouncil/nb-ci-plugin/releases
https://github.com/nbphpcouncil/nb-laravel-plugin/releases
https://github.com/nbphpcouncil/nb-yii2-plugin/releases

(D'oh, I found a kotlin plugin under the APLv2!)
https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-netbeans/releases

> 2. Refactor the plugins.netbeans.org application so that (1) NBM files
> cannot be uploaded anymore and (2) instead of uploading, references need to
> be registered to the location of the NBM on Maven Central. Blockers: this
> is being investigated at the moment, timelines not known yet. This is
> doable because the plugins.netbeans.org application has been donated to
> Apache as part of the 3rd donation.

Yep. If we allow nbms hosted as "github releases" we could write some
instructions for contributors to tell us about their plugins.

Maybe they can upload a XML/JSON file to plugins.netbeans.org with
details about licenses/binary/source urls, repositories, contact email, etc.

Regarding the plugins.netbeans.org application, we should upload the
code to a repo of ours. Or do we already have a repository in place?

> 3. Deploy the plugins.netbeans.org application from the Apache NetBeans VM.
> There should be no problem with that since we'll not be distributing the
> NBMs from Apache (which would have been a problem since Apache distributes
> source code only) but only pages or references to Maven Central.

Agreed. I think Apache OpenOffice does something similar.

> 4. Enable the Plugin Manager inside Apache NetBeans to install NBM files
> directly from Maven Central, based on the references retrieved via the
> Update Center from the plugins.netbeans.org application running on the
> Apache NetBeans VM.

I imagine we can easily assemble a catalog file from those XML/JSON
files that contributors send us.

> 5. Continue using the plugins.netbeans.org URL, except that this will now
> be running at Apache and pointing to the plugins.netbeans.org application
> running on the Apache NetBeans VM.
>
> So, the above would mean that nothing is running on Oracle servers anymore,
> all NBMs that we care about are on Maven Central (and source code could
> mostly be on GitHub, except where plugin owners don't want their source
> code exposed, in which case they'd have it in their local proprietary
> backends), and we have the plugins.netbeans.org application refactored and
> simply showing Maven co-ordinated to the plugins on Maven Central.
>
> How does that sound?

That sounds like a plan :-)

A long plan, I mean. Maybe a good target is NetBeans 13?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Here's the rough proposal: