Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hans Schlenker <ha...@first.fraunhofer.de> on 2001/12/18 17:29:13 UTC

Manager: How to remotely get operating system etc. info

Hi!

We want to develop some distributed service based on Apache-TOMCAT 4.0.
We plan to use the amazing manager-service for remote installation of
new services, because we want to use off-the-shelf TOMCAT, installed by
some user and manually added some configuration to server.xml. Our
service itself should then be completely remote installed.

Our service needs a native (i.e. non-Java) library, that we need to
install remotely (this installation can be done by just copying files,
this is not the very problem). Two things are currently unclear:

- Is it possible to remotely install a new web application *containing
native libraries*?

- How can we remotely get the OS type TOMCAT is running on, to be able
to install the correct native libraries? (BTW: The more general solution
to this problem, to send an empty "GET / HTTP/1.0" request to any
standard HTTP server and to scan the info the server returns, does not
work with TOMCAT since it only returns TOMCAT version info.)

Any help would be appreciated!

Best regards,

Hans