Posted to dev@celix.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> on 2020/04/29 16:58:12 UTC

[LAZY] Send GitHub notifications to new notifications@ list (instead of dev@)

Hi all,

Currently all GitHub activity is sent to our dev@ list. I'd like to propose to change this to a new
notifications@celix.apache.org list.

This way Celix contributors/watchers on our dev list won't be 'spammed' with all the ongoing GitHub
traffic and for the people who still want to receive the GitHub notifications it is opt-in to a separate
mailing list. It will also be easier to find actual (development related) discussions when browsing
through the dev@celix.a.o messages on lists.apache.org [1]. Also, when already watching the GitHub
repository notifications will be sent twice: once from GitHub, once from the dev list.

Lazy consensus will apply: no objections within the next 72 hours and I'll request the mailing list.
Changing the notification scheme is self-serve via the .asf.yaml [2]

Best regards,
Roy

[1] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@celix.apache.org
[2] https://s.apache.org/asfyaml-notify

Re: Send GitHub notifications to new notifications@ list (instead of dev@)

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.

On 2020/05/06 06:06:59, Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Roy,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> If we can do something about the duplicates, that would be great. I don't
> see much added value in both a github AND a gitbox email for the same
> stuff...

The thing is that the duplicate e-mails are send from two different senders:
- 1 from Gitbox via the dev@ list
- 1 from GitHub (only to watchers of the repo: https://github.com/apache/celix/watchers)

I don't see an easy way (besides setting up personal e-mail filters) to de-duplicate this.

Posted by Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi Roy,

--
Met vriendelijke groet,