Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by john lukar <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/12 00:39:13 UTC

discovering tens of categories at compile time

we have a category creation standard in which we pass
in the name of the creating class into the constructor
of the created class and the created class appends its
name to then end of the passed in category to come up
with its own category name.

This way we keep categories based on the object
creation rather than package or super class hierarchy.

This is how we are interested in categorizing our code
for debugging.

This results in hundreds of categories being created
depending on how many objects we create and unless we
go through every  new ObjectXYZ(cat,x,x,x) we won't
know the category names up front.

Anyone know of a way to discover these category names
at compile time, or some complimentary way that makes
it easy for us to figure out what the category names
are?

I know we can probably write some sort of shell script
or perl to do regex stuff or lexical scan of the code
and figure this out but that seems really hard to do.

Wondering if anyone has similar setup or any
suggestions on doing this.

TIA
j.