Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rahul <ra...@clear.net.nz> on 2003/08/13 22:22:40 UTC

WebServices & UI team

Hi Guys,

I'd like to contribute for Web Services and UI (admin console) but haven't come across any threads discussing same.
Any clues if there's been anything already initiated on same ?

cheers,

Rahul

Re: WebServices & UI team

Posted by Gary Yang <yg...@comcast.net>.
Count me if you guys need more contributors (developers, testers...) for WebServices:-)

Regards

Gary
Posted by Rahul <ra...@excibir.co.nz>.
coool !!  a suggestion there ... IMHO we could keep things simpler , How
about this ....

 Web Interface                  WebService Interface
      |                                            |
      |                                            |
      |______________________|

              JSP/Servlet Wrapper                                 Standalone
                         UI

                           |_____________________________|

                                                 Management Module

                                                       JMX

Also, would be great if we could put together a wiki page putting together
notes and listing resources we all need to skim through and do a thorough
brainstorming on this.
Come on WS /UI folks, time to get hands dirty now :p

=:o)
rahul

Posted by Tim Urberg <ti...@yahoo.com>.
What's the difference between the web interface and the webservice interface?
What kind of web server do we use?  Tomcat or home made?  Do we use JSP's,
Servlets or both?  Should we use Struts (or is that too much)?

Re: WebServices & UI team

Re: WebServices & UI team

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.
+1 on this.

What would be nice to see are interfaces that are, in their own right, separately
deployable. For those who do not want to run a web service, a thicker UI could be
used - while the remaining populus can use the thin UI. For immediate development
I'd much prefer seeing a web admin. Leave the thicker UI's (and even different
flavors of web UI's) on a "we don't have this yet - but we ack the usefulness" list for
now.

My 1 cent.

Brian

Re: WebServices & UI team

Re: WebServices & UI team

Posted by Gary Yang <yg...@comcast.net>.
Well, a direct GUI may be better...If a customer wants a distributed
environment, he doesn't need to lauch a web server or web service on the EJB
container site. WebService + Web/GUI is beautiful, but a little bit heavier.
Maybe I am wrong:-)

Gary

Re: WebServices & UI team

Posted by Gary Yang <yg...@comcast.net>.

Re: WebServices & UI team

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
hello,

why not just having a abstraction layer that exposes a
XML file which contains an _abstract_ definition of of
a GUI. see below illustration ...

          ----- \
         |    |  \
         |    |___\
         |        |
         |  XML   |
         |document|
         |________|
             ^

      ------------------
      | XML Render Kit |
      ------------------

     --------------------
     | Management Layer |
     --------------------

... at the time i do not care whether the management
layer includes EJB interfaces etc.

the XML document could look like something shown in the
below code fragment:

--------8<-----------8<----------8<---------8<---------
<window id="1">
   <button id="2" class="FooBar" type="submit">
     <label>Hello</label>
   </button>
</window>
-------->8----------->8---------->8--------->8---------

using XSLT this could be transformed for example into the
following JSF (Java Server Faces) GUI element:

--------8<-----------8<----------8<---------8<---------
<jsf:command_button class="class" type="submit|reset" id="2">
   <jsf:label>Label</jsf:label>
</jsf:command_button>
-------->8----------->8---------->8--------->8---------

but beside that you can produces pure JSP, SWING GUIs,
WAP GUIs or even speech output ...

you just have to use the exposed XML document as a GUI
definition.

what i want to say with the above stuff, is that i wouldn't
worry about whether to code a JSP, Servlet, Swing etc. GUI
first, if you go with the XML thing you can produce almost
any GUI.

OXF (recently mentioned @ theserverside.com) for example
offeres a free XMLRenderKit that does something similar as
mentioned above (see attached picture).

  -> http://www.orbeon.com/oxf/doc/integration-jsf

but there are other projects that are using the above
XML abstraction mechanism.

  Wings: -> http://sourceforge.net/project/j-wings/
            http://wings.mercatis.de/tiki-index.php

  Scope: -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/scope/
            http://scope.sourceforge.net/

do you get the idea:

regards

daniel s. haischt

Re: WebServices & UI team

Posted by Tim Urberg <ti...@yahoo.com>.

Re: WebServices & UI team

Posted by Gary Yang <yg...@comcast.net>.
Swing or SWT?
Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 02:58  pm, Gary Yang wrote:

> This is really a very good app. But my suggestion is, we should define
> a set of admin API first, thereafter, 3rd party developers can have
> their own admin apps.

You could always use the MBeans and JMX as the Admin API (along with
all the various J2EE management APIs).

> I agree to the Tomcat admin console, coz it is better to have a
> universal admin console for all Apache app servers.
>
> Anyway, admin , IMHO, is not a high priority  module in Geronimo:-) We
> can't design this module if we don't have other modules' detail:-(

Agreed. Though since we can already deploy MBeans inside Geronimo and
have just about got web container deployment (e.g. Tomcat) inside of
Geronimo too - it'd make sense to have a version of the Tomcat admin
console that can add some extra Geronimo specific stuff. We're already
ready for a management console I'd say. Developing this in parallel to
the rest of the stack might help us keep APIs console-friendly.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: web admin console (was Re: WebServices & UI team)

Posted by Gary Yang <yg...@comcast.net>.
This is really a very good app. But my suggestion is, we should define a
set of admin API first, thereafter, 3rd party developers can have their
own admin apps. I agree to the Tomcat admin console, coz it is better to

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
James Strachan wrote:
> There's already a pretty good JMX based web administration console inside Tomcat...
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/webapps/admin/

or

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/admin/
(Tomcat 5.0).

Posted by Alberto Rodriguez Galdo <te...@teleline.es>.
+1
+1 : Lets try to reuse this if it can be adapted to Geronimo.

On 8/13/03 11:38 PM, "James Strachan" <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> There's already a pretty good JMX based web administration console
> inside Tomcat...
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/webapps/admin/
>
> Its currently using JSP & Struts and looks pretty easy to extend. Maybe
> that should serve as a base to manage all of Geronimo as well as
> Tomcat/Jetty? It also looks like it shouldn't be too hard to add some
> nice custom pages to make management easier - just generating stuff
> from straight JMX can often lead to a clumsy management console - this
> would allow us to make it pretty neat.
>
> It seems silly to reinvent the wheel when this existing web application
> already does most things we need. (I've added this item to the todo
> list).
>

> On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 09:22  pm, Rahul wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I'd like to contribute for Web Services and UI (admin console) but
>> haven't come across any threads discussing same.
>> Any clues if there's been anything already initiated on same ?
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Rahul
>>

> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

--
Richard Monson-Haefel
Co-Founder\Developer, Apache Geronimo

Re: web admin console (was Re: WebServices & UI team)

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 09:42  am, Richard Monson-Haefel wrote:

> +1 : Lets try to reuse this if it can be adapted to Geronimo.

FWIW its very easy to adapt. There's just a different TreeProvider
implementation to plugin to add the Geronimo specific bits as well as
the existing Tomcat stuff to the tree control.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/
classes/org/apache/webapp/admin/

James
-------

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <Ri...@Monson-Haefel.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
There's already a pretty good JMX based web administration console
inside Tomcat...

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/webapps/admin/

Its currently using JSP & Struts and looks pretty easy to extend. Maybe
that should serve as a base to manage all of Geronimo as well as
Tomcat/Jetty? It also looks like it shouldn't be too hard to add some
nice custom pages to make management easier - just generating stuff
from straight JMX can often lead to a clumsy management console - this
would allow us to make it pretty neat.

It seems silly to reinvent the wheel when this existing web application
already does most things we need. (I've added this item to the todo
list).

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 09:22  pm, Rahul wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'd like to contribute for Web Services and UI (admin console) but
> haven't come across any threads discussing same.
> Any clues if there's been anything already initiated on same ?
>
> cheers,
>
> Rahul

James
-------