Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dror Braznitzki <Dr...@yellowpages.co.il> on 2002/03/18 14:54:58 UTC

mod_rewrite + mod_proxy questions

Hello all,

I'm using Apache 1.3.22 as a proxy server. On this server I'm also using
mod_rewrite.
Lately  we where conducting stress tests to test our server configuration
and more.
I noticed that the number of requests reported by the proxy server was about
twice as
the number of request the other Apache servers (which the proxy serves) had.
For most of my requests I can see one request from the original client and
another one
from the proxy server to itself.
While analyzing the tests results I noticed that while the proxy server
reached max clients
limit, all the other servers it served did not reach the limit and if I
count all of the
requests they where handling I could not reach max clients.

Is it because I'm using something like :

  RewriteRule ^(.*)    /blah$1  [P,L]

Can I avoid this self request the proxy is doing ?
What more can I do in order to improve my proxy performance ?

Another proxy question:

when sending a request from the proxy server to another server, does the
proxy wait
for the other server to respond and does it mean that this process cannot
serve
other clients ?
Is it possible to imitate a firewall behavior, where a table of request is
managed
so the process don't have to wait for response ?

Thanx,

Dror B

the system manager.

www.yellowpages.co.il

Re: mod_rewrite + mod_proxy questions

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Dror Braznitzki wrote:

>   RewriteRule ^(.*)    /blah$1  [P,L]
>
> Can I avoid this self request the proxy is doing ?

Yes.  Eliminate the P in your option list.  There is no need to go through
the proxy if you are ending up at the same server.  mod_rewrite can handle
that with a normal internal sub-request.

Joshua.