Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/08 15:14:49 UTC

xpath insertion point thought [was: cocoon: Fwd: Pull Parsing]

Forwarded from dev@cocoon....

> > You should take a look at Axiom,
> > http://ws.apache.org/axis2/OMTutorial.html, from Axis2. It is a light
> > weight, supposedly high performance, XML object model that is based on
> > StAX, and has built in caching, that can be turned of. It is designed
> > so that you can cache elements in the StAX input stream in such a way
> > that you can do ordinary JDOM like tree random access, but when
> > turning caching of you neither build nor construct any elements.
>
> Yeah, I looked at it. AFAIU, it defers pulling the events until they are
> really needed by the tree traversal operations.
>
> > There is also a Jaxen adaper for Axiom.
>
> Cool! I was looking for that, as we need it for a content-aware XPath
> matcher that wouldn't buffer the whole input document.

I read this and thought that this Jaxen adapter for Axiom might be
worth our looking into for our xpath insertion points in the
structurer to relieve the perceived bottleneck of full DOM's -- may or
may not be very useful.
--tim

Re: xpath insertion point thought [was: cocoon: Fwd: Pull Parsing]

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 12/12/05, Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> wrote:
> El lun, 12-12-2005 a las 13:40 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I had a look on this but encountered some problems.
> > > All examples and the axis2 code assumes that you have jdk 5.0 installed,
> > > because they are using the javax.xml.stream package which is part of 5.0
> > > and the JAXP.
> > >
> > > We are using 1.4 for forrest and I have not tried with 5.0. Now I found
> > > http://woodstox.codehaus.org/ which is an Open Source StAX-compliant
> > > XML-processor written in Java.
> > >
> > > I really would like to play around with the OM in axis2 but am a wee bit
> > > lost what to do with the javax.xml.stream package.
> > >
> > > some ideas?
> >
> > If it makes your life easier how about we make Forrest + Dispatcher
> > dependant on 1.5?
> >

> Hmm, that is ATM for myself sadly not possible since I am in to many
> project where I cannot yet use 5.
>
> > There are some good features in 1.5 that we will find useful and we are
> > increasing our use of Java quite a bt at present.
> >
> > Java 1.5 has been out for a while and even if the dispatcher goes into
> > the 0.9 release it will be a further few months before we move to
> > requiring java 1.5. Furthermore, if anyone can't upate to 1.5 they would
> > still have the option of using skins until such a time as they can upgrade.
> >

> Yeah, anyway I think we should take one step at a time and first finish
> the dispatcher with a DOM implementation (like it is right now). I have
> created an interface so it will be easy to later on switch to a StAX
> implementation.
>
> wdyt?

+1, sorry I wasn't really thinking you'd change course just thought it
worth mentioning.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Ross Gardler escribi??:
> >
> > If it makes your life easier how about we make Forrest + Dispatcher
> > dependant on 1.5?
>
> Hmm, that is ATM for myself sadly not possible since I am in to many
> project where I cannot yet use 5.

Install Java 1.5 separately and use a shell script to
switch the JAVA_HOME environment variable.

Do our current Cocoon blocks work okay?

It would be good to remain with 1.4 as long as possible.
However, if it gives us serious improvements then
there is reason to move up.

-David

Re: xpath insertion point thought [was: cocoon: Fwd: Pull Parsing]

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: xpath insertion point thought [was: cocoon: Fwd: Pull Parsing]

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

I had a look on this but encountered some problems.
All examples and the axis2 code assumes that you have jdk 5.0 installed,
because they are using the javax.xml.stream package which is part of 5.0
and the JAXP.

We are using 1.4 for forrest and I have not tried with 5.0. Now I found
http://woodstox.codehaus.org/ which is an Open Source StAX-compliant
XML-processor written in Java.

I really would like to play around with the OM in axis2 but am a wee bit
lost what to do with the javax.xml.stream package.

some ideas?

salu2

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.