Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org> on 2010/07/24 20:58:48 UTC

Re: SA scan internal to external / internal to internal

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 20:05 +0530, Suhag P Desai wrote:
> 1.      Is SA for external to internal mail only ??? or it can be used
> to scan internal to external and internal to internal mail also ?

That depends on how you feed it:

- at present I'm only scanning incoming by using this chain:

  ISP ---pop3--->getmail | SA | sendmail ---smtp---> Postfix

- If you run SA as a Postfix service I think it scans all mail submitted
  to Postfix via SMTP on port 25

> 2.      How SA consider mail as a SPAM based on the score ?

That's external. SA scores the mail so that something downstream of it
can use the score, such as procmail or a filter in the recipients MUA

If you use amavis-new as an SA front end, it can use the score to
deliver/quarantine/delete etc the message

> 3.      How SA used /usr/share/spamassissin/*.cf file ?

Base rules, replaced with a new set in /var/lib/spamassassin/ the first
time you run sa_update. Your configuration and, optionally,
site-specific rules are usually in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf or
you can add extra site-specific rules as /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.cf

Martin