Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by giovo87 <gi...@hotmail.com> on 2012/03/01 23:32:40 UTC

make Tomcat reachable on internet

Hi everybody!

I've developed some servlets and i've installed them on tomcat in ubuntu.
They work fine in my LAN but now i have to make them reachable on internet.

What can i do for do this?

I'm new in tomcat and sorry if i opened a new topic but i have not found
anything similar.

Thanks!

RE: make Tomcat reachable on internet

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Pierre Goupil [mailto:goupilpierre@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: make Tomcat reachable on internet

> How do you deploy your webapp(s)? Do you use a context file in
> conf/Catalina or do you use the webapp folder? Do you have any virtual
> hosts or contexts? Do you use Apache httpd or just Tomcat?

None of the above is really relevant to the OP's question (and his question isn't relevant to Tomcat).  He needs to expose his IP address to the world, and as Jordan points out, that pretty much always requires paying money to somebody (or putting up with ads).

 - Chuck

Re: make Tomcat reachable on internet

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.
How do you deploy your webapp(s)? Do you use a context file in
conf/Catalina or do you use the webapp folder? Do you have any virtual
hosts or contexts? Do you use Apache httpd or just Tomcat?

Regards,

Pierre

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM, giovo87 <gi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> is this the only one solution?
>

> changing some router's configurations or ubuntu's firewall configurations
> can i have the same result?
>

> there must be another way...

Si tu penses que la violence ne résout rien, c'est que tu n'as pas tapé
assez fort.

RE: make Tomcat reachable on internet

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: giovo87 [mailto:giovogiovo8@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: make Tomcat reachable on internet

> i know that exist some services like DYNDNS

> I'd like to know if i can solve my problem with router
> forewarding...DYNDNS service...and how.

If you're using DynDNS or equivalent, configure your router to pass requests for a specific port (usually 80) to the internal IP address and port of your Tomcat system.  (The target port is whatever you configured in the <Connector> element in Tomcat's server.xml file.)  Shouldn't need to change anything in Tomcat.

 - Chuck

Re: make Tomcat reachable on internet

Posted by giovo87 <gi...@hotmail.com>.
i know that exist some services like DYNDNS. They are free and i don't need
professional use of my application. I post my question in Tomcat forum
because i don't know if i must change something in tomcat configuration from
a LAN function to an INTERNET function. Maybe  someone here had the same
problem.

I'd like to know if i can solve my problem with router forewarding...DYNDNS
service...and how.

But without hosting service.

Posted by Jordan Michaels <jo...@viviotech.net>.
It's the easiest one to do with any sort of professionalism.

You could host off of the IP Address given to you by your ISP but IP's
that your ISP gives you are not static, and can change.

Services exist that can create the illusion of a static IP address, such
as no-ip.com, among others, but it's generally not done for professional
sites and usually cost money just like hosting accounts do.

Shared hosting accounts are very cheap or even free. Any particular
reason you're opposed to a hosting account?

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels

Posted by Ermal Aliraj <er...@gmail.com>.
If you use DMZ your problem to make visible Tomcat outside your LAN will
disappear.
BUT, (in case you don't have a static IP) you have to deal with the problem
that the given IP is provisory and will be changed after some days, so you
have to find a way to communicate the new IP to whom who wants to ping
tomcat (application deployed on tomcat).

Ermal

Posted by Casper Wandahl Schmidt <ka...@gmail.com>.
(I top-post to follow the standard in this thread)

It can be done without putting the machine in DMZ as well. I use
portforwarding to forward port 80 in my router to my server (port 80 as
well). There I have Apache Httpd running which then talks to tomcat (I
also have port 8080 forwarded so that tomcat can be reached directly but
domain.tld:8080 i inconvenient and I need php, therefore httpd is up and
running on port 80).

I have dynamic IP as well but my dns-provider have a webservice which
can be used to change my ip to the one sending the request. This means
that I have e cronjob on my ubuntu server running each 20 minutes. It
uses curl to call the webservice with the appopriate domain, username
and password and if my IP is changed since the last call the
dns-provider will change it to the new IP for me :)

Kind regards
Casper

Posted by Ermal Aliraj <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: make Tomcat reachable on internet

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

> David,
>
> On 3/1/12 7:18 PM, David Kerber wrote:
>> On 3/1/2012 5:55 PM, giovo87 wrote:
>>> is this the only one solution?
>>>

>>> changing some router's configurations or ubuntu's firewall
>>> configurations can i have the same result?
>> Actually, you'll have to change BOTH of those to allow the port you
>> want through.  And then your ISP also has to allow incoming
>> connections on the desired port.  I have done this, but I had to
>> sign up for a business account with my ISP, because their TOS
>> didn't allow me to run a server on a home acct.
>
> Most ISP TOSs (at least in the US) say the same thing, but they don't
> really care unless you start eating-up a ton of bandwidth. It's
> largely an unforced policy but it's there so they can stop you if you
> start to generate a lot of traffic.

Yes, that's the way mine was, but the business account was only $2.00
more than the home acct, so I decided to stay legal on it.  They also
bumped up my outgoing bandwidth when I upgraded, though the incoming
stayed the same.  I get better tech support response as well.

Re: make Tomcat reachable on internet

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: make Tomcat reachable on internet

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Jordan Michaels <jo...@viviotech.net>.
This is what hosting companies do. They give you a location that's
accessible via the Internet to place your files and applications.

You'll want to look into getting a hosting account.

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels