Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by André-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca> on 2005/08/29 21:11:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2: Transfer finishing prematurely

Hi.

I recently installed Gallery 2 to serve up pictures from my old Mac
G4 466MHz computer. To support it I have installed Apache 2.0.50,
with PHP, using the binary install (I tried the source install of
2.0.54, but ran into too many compilation issues). Along the way I
found that if I go to another computer the pictures do not always
come through in one piece. So after a bit of tinkering with the
config file gave up an installed Apache 1. Although still slow, the
images arrive complete. I have tested the issue with an MP3 and I
have the same issue, but not if I am browsing from the computer on
which the server is running.

Small files seem ok, but once they start going beyond 200K I start
seeing the issues.

My network consists of two Macs and a Belkin wireless router. I have
set the MTU to be 1454. I am  using dyndns.org and have been using
proxify.com to help me see what people beyond my network are seeing.

Can anyone suggest what could be going wrong?

Andre

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2: Transfer finishing prematurely

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tuesday 30 August 2005 14:50, André-John Mas wrote:
> Does anyone have any ideas about or whether there is a better forum
> fro the question?

No idea what you're talking about.

> > I recently installed Gallery 2

Maybe "gallery 2" (whatever that is) has a support forum of some kind?

> > to serve up pictures from my old Mac
> > G4 466MHz computer. To support it I have installed Apache 2.0.50,
> > with PHP, using the binary install

"the binary install"?
And what's the role of PHP in all this?  It introduces a lot of issues, but
nothing you've said helps determine whether they might be relevant.

> > (I tried the source install of
> > 2.0.54, but ran into too many compilation issues).

That suggests to me a machine that was broken before you tried to install.

> > Along the way I
> > found that if I go to another computer the pictures do not always
> > come through in one piece.

The usual reason for that concerns EnableSendfile - see the FAQ.  But in your
case there are too many strands to your story to say that's really likely.

> > So after a bit of tinkering with the
> > config file gave up an installed Apache 1. Although still slow, the
> > images arrive complete.

So what's your problem, apart from moving to an obsolete product?

> > I have tested the issue with an MP3 and I
> > have the same issue, but not if I am browsing from the computer on
> > which the server is running.
> >
> > Small files seem ok, but once they start going beyond 200K I start
> > seeing the issues.

Erm, that's heavy overloading of the word "issues" jsut after you said it
works.  Does it work or not?

> > My network consists of two Macs and a Belkin wireless router. I
> > have set the MTU to be 1454.

If any of that is relevant, it's way out of apache's control.

> > I am  using dyndns.org and have been

Not suitable for server apps - but unlikely to be relevant if the
problem has anything at all to do with apache.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2: Transfer finishing prematurely

Posted by André-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>.