Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2011/02/21 13:44:20 UTC

Re: Sonar instance ETA

Gav did a full review of the configuration today, further to the other changes made.

I've made some other significant changes to reduce the memory being allocated (as it seemed to be causing the system to run out of RAM):
- stopped using a local slave (it wasn't starting due to changes in SSH anyway), builds can be on master here
- reduced Jenkins & Sonar Tomcat instances to the recommended default MAVEN_OPTS for now
- changed the default MAVEN_OPTS to -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m (seems to be needed for compilation of several projects). Added more memory only for projects that need it specifically (so far only 1)

The main improvement seemed to be dropping the large perm gen on several of the above. all the projects are building now, but we should monitor it to see how stable the main sonar instance remains.

Should we move to builds@apache.org to discuss this? It's somewhat build related and I think it'd be helpful to have other hudson/jenkins admins comparing notes.

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Sonar instance ETA

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 22/02/11 12:36, Brett Porter wrote:
> Some final changes:
> - switched to -XX:+UseCompressedOops on the builds and servers to constrain memory some more and avoid swapping

I'm a fan of this though I've heard of it triggering intermittent SEGV
problems in production hadoop clusters (those with many servers and
CPUs), which implies some race condition bugs lurking in the code.

If the machine is playing up, turn that switch off first

Re: Sonar instance ETA

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Some final changes:
- switched to -XX:+UseCompressedOops on the builds and servers to constrain memory some more and avoid swapping
- increased ulimit -n on jenkins

I'll watch it a couple of days and push all this to the wiki.

Re: Sonar instance ETA

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I already bumped openJPA to 1Gb :)

128m permgen wasn't enough, perhaps because of the way the jenkins maven runner works (same builds in normal maven are fine).

The memory settings are higher than usual because Sonar's maven plugin (running the reports, static analysis, etc.) uses a higher than normal amount.

Re: Sonar instance ETA

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.