Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Cathy Spears <cs...@hcg.com> on 2022/12/05 20:03:04 UTC

Mod_JK vs Mod_Proxy

Using Tomcat 8.5 and 9.0 with 32-bit Apache 2.4 and mod_jk. Are there benefits to using mod_proxy instead of mod_jk? Also, is there a planned end of life for mod_jk or will it continue to be supported for now?

Thanks,
Cathy

DISCLAIMER:

The information transmitted in this e-mail message and attachments, if any, may be attorney-client information, including privileged and confidential matter, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. Distribution to, or review by, unauthorized persons is strictly prohibited. All personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be attributed to any organization. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this transmission including attachments.

Re: Mod_JK vs Mod_Proxy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jon,

On 12/7/22 19:36, jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
> I get it and agree, but it does just add unnecessary complexity also.

In my case, I find it necessary to encrypt ;)

There are some reasons I can't move to mod_proxy_* yet, so it's a
/necessary/ complexity for me.

-chris

RE: Mod_JK vs Mod_Proxy

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
I get it and agree, but it does just add unnecessary complexity also.

Have a Happy!!!

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Asst. Vice President
He/His

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | EAS | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Mod_JK vs Mod_Proxy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jon,

Re: Mod_JK vs Mod_Proxy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jon,

On 12/6/22 12:36, jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
> IMHO, switching to mod_proxy, and using it over SSL, is by far better than using mod_jk or mod_ajp, primarily as mod_proxy allows for secure proxy connection, whereas mod_jk and mod_ajp aren't "secure" as they are not encrypted channels.

While this is true (and supports my assertion that everyone should
migrate), it doesn't preclude the use of encrypted AJP connections.

-chris

RE: Mod_JK vs Mod_Proxy

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
IMHO, switching to mod_proxy, and using it over SSL, is by far better than using mod_jk or mod_ajp, primarily as mod_proxy allows for secure proxy connection, whereas mod_jk and mod_ajp aren't "secure" as they are not encrypted channels.

Again, just my .02 worth.

Re: Mod_JK vs Mod_Proxy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,