Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by M Busche <sp...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/08/06 11:25:06 UTC

[users@httpd] ServerName usage

Hi,

If I only have ServerName declarations in the scope of my virtualhost directives, then I get a complaint at startup that apache couldn't figure out what my domain name is.  To make this warning go away, I added another ServerName entry at global scope (in apache2.conf).  But this seems weird to me.  Am I doing something wrong?  If I've done right, then why do I need to specify my ServerName in multiple places?  If I'm running virtual hosts, then which domain name do I put at global scope?

Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Matt

Re: [users@httpd] ServerName usage

Posted by Daniel <df...@gmail.com>.
nothing wrong, on startup httpd checks by default in "core" config if
 servername used can resolve to something that exists, this is by default
"core" config.

Just add something that resolves through your local dns or ignore the
warning, since you are just concerned with the virtualhosts that will do
the actual work.