Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by David Leangen <ap...@leangen.net> on 2020/06/26 05:12:27 UTC

Community Development Objectives

Hello!

Was nice talking with you all yesterday. Such a nice group! I look forward to the next discussion.

Anyway, I wanted to start moving forward with the issue of “Community Development”. As usual, I will start by asking a few questions, then trying to commit these to the documentation.

In the context of: "we want to grow the community because a healthy community means a better and more relevant product for everybody”:

* Do we know how many Users/Operators/Integrators/Developers/Contributors/Committers this community has right now?

* What are some of the metrics we can use to measure the “health” of the community?
    - Commits?
    - Issues filed?
    - Emails sent?
    - Number of committers?
    - What else?

* Within these metrics, is it possible to gather the data automatically (in order to keep an updated website)?

 * In terms of community membership and growth of the community:
    - Which of the above metrics do we want to focus on in terms of growth?
    - What timeframe should the growth objective be set for? (Monthly? Annually?)
    - What should the growth target be?
    - What is the current community will to do (or not do) to make this happen?

Hopefully this should get the ball rolling.

BTW, it is acceptable to say:

 * It would be great to achieve A, but I am not willing to do anything

Cheers,
=David