Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Michael Heuer <he...@acm.org> on 2005/05/25 20:22:35 UTC

[m2] assembly equivalent of dist?

Hello,

Just got started with maven2 and am having trouble finding the equivalent
of the maven1 dist plugin, for creating binary and source tarballs.

The plug-in doc for the assembly plugin reads "Build an assembly
(distribution) of sources and binaries" but I'm not sure how to use it:

$ m2 assembly:assembly
[ERROR] Cause:
org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Error creating assembly
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: You must
specify descriptor or descriptorId

   michael

Re: [m2] assembly equivalent of dist?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 14:22 -0400, Michael Heuer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just got started with maven2 and am having trouble finding the equivalent
> of the maven1 dist plugin, for creating binary and source tarballs.
>
> The plug-in doc for the assembly plugin reads "Build an assembly
> (distribution) of sources and binaries" but I'm not sure how to use it:
>
> $ m2 assembly:assembly
> [ERROR] Cause:
> org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Error creating assembly
> Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: You must
> specify descriptor or descriptorId

You need a descriptor like this:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/maven-
core/src/assemble/bin.xml?rev=163813&view=markup

And you can look at the maven-core POM for details on how to configure
the assembly plugin:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/maven-
core/pom.xml?rev=178056&view=markup

Look for "assembly".

>    michael

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

you are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance