Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/04/08 19:45:17 UTC

Remove old apache-karaf assembly in favor of apache-karaf-minimal and apache-karaf-full?

I'd like to suggest that we remove the old assemblies/apache-karaf and use instead the assemblies/apache-karaf-minimal and apache-karaf-full assemblies constructed using the new mojos.  I think we can also remove a lot of mojos from the karaf-maven-plugin.

With the exception of some configuration files, legal files, the demo files, and the inclusion of o.a.k.shell.ssh in the old minimal assembly by error, the contents of the corresponding new and old assemblies are the same.  A few more bundles start in the newer servers but I think these are errors similar to the inclusion of ssh in the minimal assemblies.  It would be great if someone more familiar with karaf history than I would investigate the differences and advise about what to do.  Basically I assume that all the bundles in system should be started, so the choices are to remove the extra bundles from system or to decide that indeed their presence is correct.

I'm not sure what to do with the demos.  It's easy enough to write a kar file that will unpack the demo content so it will look just as it does today, but what's there strikes me as sort of horrible.  I don't really expect a server image to include maven projects that I can build to add functionality.  I think that it would be a lot more appropriate to have a customization maven archetype that will generate a full-featured customization project, and one or two demo features that can install prebuilt demo applications.

I'm thinking about how best to install legal files into assemblies and hope to have a suggestion in the next few days.

The current apache-karaf builds some kind of source distribution.  I haven't looked into exactly what it is but suggest that the source distros produced by the apache release profile are sufficient.

Related to this suggestion I think it would be great if some of the other projects that use karaf such as servicemix, activemq, directory (?) tried out the new packagings to build custom server assemblies.  I will try to write up some documentation and maven archetypes for this in the next few days.

thoughts?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Remove old apache-karaf assembly in favor of apache-karaf-minimal and apache-karaf-full?

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
I'm with Andreas here, another docuemtation besides the wiki and
scalate just turns into more problems,
not necessarily but last time the scalate documentation did :)

so +1 for integrating this special maven-plugin documentation into the
standard documentation, maybe some of
our scalate experts can do that :)

Additionally we need some migration documentation for the people who
already do the assembly stuff.

regards, Achim

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I also added a simple karaf-feature-archetype.

david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
my comments in-line :)

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi David,

> [...]

>> I did see some mail-threads touching parts of this, but somehow I was
>> missing the big picture beforehand.
>> IMHO for me this move was quite fast and a better discussion could have
>> been helpful.
>>

>>> Let me make some try to have a better understanding. Anyway, I didn't
>>> see any change on the manual around the "Karaf Custom Distribution"
>>> section. It should be introduce and described in the manual.
>>>
>> We surely need some very good documentation on this move, because we
>> already have a description for how to build a custom distributions and
>> people are already using it to make their own custom distribution. I
>> used to do this at my former company
>> and I'm sure the guys doing it now will get kind of upset if they have
>> to change a lot on how to make a custom distribution.
>> Just my 2 cent.
>>
>>> I will do that regarding my tests on ServiceMix.

>>> Regards

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi all my comments in-line