Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2011/04/11 07:05:30 UTC

[ANN] Branched; freeze in effect

Ladies and Gents, pursuant with The Plan[1], we have branched[2] and a
freeze is now in effect.

First and foremost this means no new features[3].  The idea is to
release in 4 weeks, which will be here before you know it.  We need the
bug count to trend downward, which will be difficult enough without
feature/scope-creep.

We also need to maintain compatibility. I believe it is very important
that we set this expectation for our betas. If users feel certain that
each is unarguably more release-ready than the last, and that it is
reasonably straightforward to upgrade from one to the next, (including
the final), then we should see more serious testing during these
periods.

The upshots are that anything you didn't get in only needs to wait ~4
months, and trunk is still open for business (so go nuts).

I'd like to get going on the first beta as soon as possible, (this week
would be great).  If you know of issues that should be dealt with before
that happens, please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

[1]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.cassandra.devel/2867
[2]: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.8
[3]: Common-sense / consensus will prevail, of course.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [ANN] Branched; freeze in effect

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> I'd like to get going on the first beta as soon as possible, (this week
> would be great).  If you know of issues that should be dealt with before
> that happens, please let me know.

I think this one is a good candidate even if not specific to 0.8:

/ Peter Schuller

Re: [ANN] Branched; freeze in effect

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
Done, thanks.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
Ok, I know that will sound like I'm already starting to ask for favor,
but would that
be possible to just merge CASSANDRA-2191 and CASSANDRA-2156 to 0.8.
I just committed it to trunk and honestly though the freeze would be
in effect later today.

I do understand we should be strict on the freeze for it to work, but those are
useful patches and part of this not going in in time was due to me sleeping
just before the freeze due to living in a different time zone.

--
Sylvain