Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Kai Grossjohann <ka...@emptydomain.de> on 2003/11/11 18:28:02 UTC

Popup windows with Portlets

"Igor, make it so that we can use popup windows with portlets!"
"Yeth, marthther."

I know that it is very difficult to make popup windows work with
portlets.  But I gotta try.  The powers that be expressed their
wishes...

So is there any way at all for a popup window to communicate with the
portlet?  I will need bidirectional communication.

If it soothes you at all, I'll try to make it so that the popup
behaves like a modal dialog, eg by telling the porlet to give focus to
the popup if there is a popup, using JavaScript.

The idea goes like this: user clicks on icon to frob the search
range.  The window does what windows aren't allowed to do in portal
sites and shows two input fields to the user, start date and end
date.  User frobs these two items, clicks okay.  The window
disappears, and now the portlet session knows the new start/end dates.

Hm.  In principle, one could imagine having two portlets, the search
form portlet and the search range portlet.  The latter is normally
minimized.  But if the user clicks on a special button in the search
form portlet, the search range portlet is maximized (or restored, or
something), allowing the user to enter the date.  After the user
clicks submit, the search range portlet is minimized again, going back
to the previous view.  The new search range is remembered in the
portlet session.

Would this work?

I'd be happy about any suggestions you might have.

Kai