Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de> on 2002/12/06 10:18:37 UTC

A dead cat

Hi,

I am currently using tomcat as a standalone server to test some webapps that
I am creating.  I have some experiance with web servers but little or no
experiance with tomcat.  And I have a couple of major problems.

1)  The cat is dead but won't go away!  I have installed tomcat twice now,
the first time I had a conflict within the port addressing for tomcat and my
exist database where both were configured to listen on the same port.  A
school boy error really, but when I killed off tomcat and edited the server
config file to listen on an other port I got Exceptions every time I tried
to restart tomcat.  I uninstalled and then reinstalled tomcat and everything
was working fine for a couple of days.  However! After problem 2 occured the
same situation has come back with tomcat.  The one thing I have noticed
though is that the tomcat.exe in the process list cannot be killed using
task manager.

2)  When tomcat was up and running the second time I managed to get the war
file into the webapps dir and it automatically detected it, created a
directory and deployed.  However, after a while and during one of the
updates to the app, tomcat seemed to jam and would not reload the app.  I
tryed to use the manager, but it would not let me even restart the app.  So,
I removed it from the directory and then restarted tomcat.  This time tomcat
would not even see the file was there and I had to install it using manager.
This worked for the first couple of changes, but then this too failed and
now tomcat will not respond at all.

I am going to unistall and reinstall again, but if anyone knows why this is
going wrong I would be most greatful.

As a side, during the deployment using manager I got the  app in by
declaring the path '/katrin' and then giving the file url
'file:/c:/programme/apache group/tomcat 4.1/webapps/katrin.war'.  This
worked for a couple of times, but then failed.  There are a direct copy of
the last lines I entered.  Is there something I have done wrong in the url,
as it is this error "Mallformed url ..." that I am getting.

Kindest regards

Simon

Institut fuer
Prozessdatenverarbeitung