Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Paul Lindner <pl...@linkedin.com> on 2010/05/12 20:20:42 UTC

upgrade to servlet-api 2.5

I'd like to move us to servlet-api 2.5

pros:
* Allows easier web.xml configuration for various url patterns.
* Allows for use of getContextPath() to ease configuration hassles

cons:
* People can't deploy source builds directly to tomcat 5.5 or older
containers.

To make this easy I'll wrap calls to getContextPath() into it's own class
that can be customized with hard coded or configured value.

Re: upgrade to servlet-api 2.5

Posted by Chirag Shah <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: upgrade to servlet-api 2.5

Posted by Paul Lindner <pl...@linkedin.com>.
Hmm,

If you're using maven you can add an <exclusion> for servlet-api-2.5 to your
pom.xml and move on.   For 2.0.x we'll insure that we maintain 2.4 ABI
compatibility for deployed artifacts by not using the new methods in 2.5.

You'll still be responsible for supplying your own web.xml, but that's a
given!

And I'm afraid to ask, where are you with respect to Java 5 vs 6 support?

Re: upgrade to servlet-api 2.5

From:   Paul Lindner <pl...@linkedin.com>
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org
Date:   05/12/2010 04:38 PM
Subject:        Re: upgrade to servlet-api 2.5

Re: upgrade to servlet-api 2.5

Posted by Paul Lindner <pl...@linkedin.com>.

Re: upgrade to servlet-api 2.5

Posted by Mark D Weitzel <we...@us.ibm.com>.
Paul,

Would you be kind enough to let me check with a few of our product teams
inside of IBM? I *think* this may give us some heartache b/c we'll need to
deploy on the current version. So I definitely don't want to vote yes or
no without having all the facts.

Thanks,

-Mark W.

From: