Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by wizz <ro...@johansyah.com> on 2015/09/21 14:22:43 UTC

Dynamic Properties for Processor

Hi Guys,

I am new to Nifi, it looks great but I am exploring what it can be done. Is
it possible to have something similar to this flow: GetFile --> SplitText
--> GetHttp --> Zip?

1. GetFile gets file (dog.txt) which contains list of link:
http://pic.pedigreedatabase.com/dogbreeds/samoyed.jpg
http://pic.pedigreedatabase.com/dogbreeds/bichon_frise.jpg
http://pic.pedigreedatabase.com/dogbreeds/norwich_terrier.jpg
http://pic.pedigreedatabase.com/dogbreeds/west_highland_white_terrier.jpg

2. SplitText will get each of the line of text
3. The line feeds to GetHttp to property URL which it will download the file
and save it accordingly

Is this possible guys? It seems the properties of processor is immutable and
the only dynamic is when the expression language is allowed in the property.

Another question would be, the source text (dog.txt) it seems being executed
multiple times, how do I mark it that the NiFi got the inputs each line and
no repeat?

Thanks!!

Re: Dynamic Properties for Processor

Posted by wizz <ro...@johansyah.com>.
Hi Adrian and Joe,

Thanks for the useful links and suggestions. Definitely I will look around.
I guess that is it for now. Thanks once again guys.

Re: Dynamic Properties for Processor

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
Yanusha,

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand your question.

If you mean, “is there a way to programmatically set processor properties”, yes. You can use the NiFi REST API to do this [1]. Click “Processors” then “PUT /processors/{id}”.

If you mean, “is there a way to add custom properties to a new processor”, yes. The developer guide explains how to build custom properties [2].

Did either of these answer your question?

[1] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/rest-api/index.html
[2] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/developer-guide.html#documenting-properties

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
In terms of why there are restrictions, it is about intended usage and how
given exposed properties are .  Dynamic properties on those processors that
have certain resources they are relying upon may not be as friendly as the
framework is to these dynamic changes.  Accordingly, the power of providing
the capability to handle these changes is squarely on the developer of the
component to determine and must be explicitly provided. Those properties
that do support EL have this information conveyed in their associated help
tooltip in the properties configuration as well as in the accompanying
Usage documentation.

Certainly understand and appreciate the needs that some users have, but
feel that this may map better to the Variable Registry feature proposal
that is being considered [1].  We would appreciate any additional ideas or
input in guiding that process.

In terms of contributing new processors, we have developed a Contributor's
Guide [2] identifying the mechanics of the process.  Our Developer Guide
[3] is a nice way to get insights into the API and framework as well as
typical extension patterns.  This should get you on your way for developing
components and offering up the code for incorporation into the codebase.
Of course, this developer list is also a great mechanism to help facilitate
that process for anything that may be unclear or questions you may have
along the way.  We look forward to any contributions you would like to
share with us!

Thanks!

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Variable+Registry
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide
[3] https://nifi.apache.org/developer-guide.html

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
You certainly are on the right path and have the right ideas, but there are
some details to work out.  The biggest item here is that GetTwitter does
not support dynamic properties for the credentials, largely because it does
not take FlowFiles in as input to the processor.  GetTwitter falls into the
class of "source" processors. Ultimately, I'd imagine this was due to how
the Twitter client library interacts with the service and keeping that
connection managed for continuously streaming data.  As a result, the
GetTwitter processor would have to be configured with the appropriate
credentials by hand as it is not currently possible to configure and
connect dynamically.

Some other points to clarify issues you are seeing:

Given EvaluateJsonPath's contract, it is interpreting your Directory
dynamic property you specified in its configuration as a JsonPath
expression, which in this case is invalid given the value you supplied.
You have the right idea to set that Directory property for use in your
PutFile, but that particular property would be better suited with an
UpdateAttribute that makes use of a value that was extracted by
EvaluateJsonPath.  For instance, your directory property in the
PutAttribute could use the "User Id" attribute via NiFi's Expression
Language [1].  Your directory property for your PutFile would then be
/Feeds/${User Id} or something similar depending on where on the filesystem
you wish for it to be rooted.

Let us know if this generates additional questions.

--aldrin

[1]
http://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/expression-language-guide.html

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
When you mention getting the value set for properties, are you referring to
values of the JSON payload you are receiving?  If so, check out
EvaluateJsonPath [1].  This would allow you to extract values to attributes
that could later be used throughout for dictating the context of the flow.
If not, could you please provide some additional information.

Regarding where the data producer "resides," either option works.  However,
we tend to do as much as we can within the flow so we can leverage all the
features that NiFi brings to the table.  This typically works out to
managing the items in flow we have access to (in terms of connectivity,
credentials, etc) and bringing them into the flow from sources where we do
not.  For your case of Twitter where we have functionality already present,
we would certainly make use of that.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

[1]
https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.EvaluateJsonPath/index.html

Posted by Joe Percivall <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Here's a better formatted version. Email decided to switch back to RTF.

Welcome to NiFi!

This can certainly be done. The processor you're looking for to execute arbitrary URLs is the InvokeHTTP processor [1]. So your flow would be GetFile -> SplitText -> ExtractText (to get the URL to an attribute) -> InvokeHTTP.  In the InvokeHTTP you'll use the expression language [2] to reference the proper attribute.

For the second part, under the configuration for getFile if you uncheck "Keep Source File" it'll only get the dog.txt once then get rid of the file afterwards.

Also as a note, I am in the process of making a RouteText processor that will make it much easier to work with individual lines of text. You can check out the ticket here [3].

[1] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.InvokeHTTP/index.html
[2] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/expression-language-guide.html

Hope this helps!
Joe
Joseph Percivall
linkedin.com/in/Percivall
e: joepercivall@yahoo.com

Joseph Percivall
linkedin.com/in/Percivall
e: joepercivall@yahoo.com

[1] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.InvokeHTTP/index.html[2] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/expression-language-guide.html[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-942